A Touch of Vérité et la Crainte

Trois: A Touch of Vérité et la Crainte

It was such a beautiful day. It was autumn.

The leaves from the trees were starting to fall. Their colors were starting to change from pretty jades to warm amber and chromes and magentas.

I can see a man cuddling a woman on the couch. It was our house. My home.

Laughter and happiness were audible in the air.

A little child was suddenly running into my arms and as her familiar scent invaded my nose, I scooped her down and hugged her tight. She looked so small and fragile in my decade-old arms. She was younger than me by four years.

Oppa! Let’s go! Eomeoni and abeoji are already waiting! Ppalli! Ppalli! Ppalli!

As I looked at her, I couldn’t help but feel genuinely happy. Her shrill voice was very comforting and full of innocent joy.

She started dragging me to the couch to finally see more familiar faces in front of me. Their smiles were full of love and care.

Just like any other parent would show their child.

Eomoni... Abeoji...

I felt my lips move, but I couldn’t hear my voice saying those words.

Jul-ah..

Still...no sound came out from my lips.

I repeated and repeated those words so that they may hear me. I grew desperate. I started to shout.

I know something bad was going to happen. I know deep in my mind.

I want them to hear me! Where did my voice go?!

Eomoni! ... Abeoji! ... Jul-ah!!!

I wanted to warn them. I wanted to tell them to run away and hide.

As my voice only echoed inside of me, I tried to take a step to touch them.

It’s been so long...

But I never got my chance.

A deafening sound roared in my ears as what seemed like an unending silence traveled in the air.

I watched, dumbstruck and unable to move, as my parents’ clothes were slowly being soaked with...blood.

Their blood.

They fell into the floor. Soaking it with the deep red liquid.

Abruptly, the entire room twisted. It was like we were being sucked into a black hole.

It kept spinning and spinning and spinning all around me.

My hands unconsciously tightened around Jul so that I could keep the scene away from her eyes.

I started to tremble violently as they choked on their own blood as they continued to look at me. To look at the two of us.

I knew my parents weren’t dead. Yet.

As my knees no longer supported me, I fell to the floor, still carrying Jul in my arms.

She tried to get free from my strong grip. But I couldn’t let her witness this nightmare.