Sixty-Eight...Disapproval...

Sixty-Eight…Disapproval...

Once inside the castle we were shown to our chambers and our servants directed to their necessary areas. Katherine had not accompanied us and so Uther had provided me with a new ladies maid. I did not meet her however until after the midday meal. That first meal was small and private, Arthur was not once referred to as the prince, though I was constantly spoken to as the lady Gwenivere. Ector’s knights and those who had travelled with us from Camelot were present, alongside my uncle, the king, his wife, and, to my surprise their daughter Morgana.

            She surveyed me with interest and I wondered to myself whether even after all these years she recognised Arthur and I as those who she had found lost in her corridors. She played the demure and innocent princess all too well and looking at her made my stomach churn, she seemed to be everything the daughter of a king should be and yet I knew better.  Geraint was taken by her beauty, the youngest at the table she captivated the hearts of all the foreign men present with her shy smiles, pale completion and silky, soft hair. I resolved to warn my friend against her once we were alone, for I knew Morgana’s kind to well, Geraint would become puppyish in his devotion to her and manipulated to follow any course she desired without ever receiving the promised reward of love and marriage. I would not let his heart to be so twisted by this young woman, I decided immediately nor that of any of man whose friendship I held in high regard. During public displays however, I was forced to endure the girls company and felt my resentment and disgust towards her growing daily.

            Especially when she once more took an interest in Arthur, before she knew him as her brother. Once the meal was finished we all remained sitting and spoke at length of the journey and the situation in the north, purposely leaving Morgause and the possibility of war out of the conversation. Arthur who was sat opposite his sister, decided to engage her in conversation for she looked thoroughly bored now that all the men’s attention had turned from her to the king as they spoke of serious matters.

            ‘My lady,’ he began, ‘how was your time in the south?’

            ‘Fair my lord,’ she replied silkily, ‘though I am sure Camelot is bound to become more entertaining now you and your lords have come.’

            ‘We are here on business my lady,’ Troilus answered her dryly; he had never much liked the princess.

            ‘What sort of business?’ Morgana asked suggestively, raising one delicate eyebrow at Arthur whilst she awaited his reply.

            ‘Military my lady.’ Sir Bedivere said, desperate for her to notice him instead.

            ‘Are we under some great threat then?’ she questioned interestedly but with a note of amusement in her tone.

            All the men hesitated unsure of what words could be spoken aloud and in such a varied company as this, for even though most of us sat down to eat were close companions there were servants and the like about who may not be so well trusted.

            Merlin heard this pause in the conversation and sought to save the knights from their own folly. ‘We are under no great threat princess but there is no harm in assembling once every half a dozen years and assessing our positions and reaffirming are alliances.’

            Morgana observed my uncle with a look of slight amusement, she did not have the same respect and awe of him as others did which surprised us all and spelt danger for me. ‘Is that so master Merlin?’ she queried rhetorically returning shortly to lighter conversation with Geraint once my uncle had confirmed his words with a needless answer.

            After the meal we all exited the hall, the knights going to train, lady Drusilla and I expected to accompany the royal women to their rooms for some feminine pursuit and Merlin, Arthur, Ector, Cei and Troilus waiting behind to council the king. Just as we were leaving however Uther called after me, ‘My lady Gwenivere, please join us if you will, we would greatly appreciate your opinion.’

            I curtsied, ‘of course Sire if you wish it.’ I returned to Arthur’s side, Drusilla allowed herself a secretive smile but Igraine did not hide her distaste at my elevation. Morgana looked even more put out than her mother, having clearly believed that I was simply like the other ladies and not of use to a king’s council. I could not help myself, smiling smugly I took my place at the table that Uther had indicated as the rest filed from the room, dismissed.