The Rope Game

The next morning, Felix headed into the garage to reverse his car into the driveway.

He stopped short as he was about to open the driver's door.

In large, jagged letters, someone had carved a message into the shiny paintwork of the BMW. It was the work of something sharp, presumably a key. Felix could only stare in shock at his daughter's audacity.

MOMMY AN DADDY AR HORIBEL, read the letters.

Felix felt a surge of white-hot anger go through him. "Denise!" he yelled.

And that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

___________________________

"Lexi, this is Trisha. She's six, like you! Her parents are on holiday, so she'll be staying with us for a while." Denise introduced the quiet, dark-haired girl to Lexi.

"Hi, Trisha!" Lexi said brightly. "I'll go tell Cathy you're here!"

Trisha looked confused. "Who's Cathy?"

"Oh, just her imaginary friend." Denise glared at Lexi and led Trisha away.

"Remember what I told you?" she asked as soon as they were out of earshot. "You have to tell me if she gets into trouble or does something naughty. Okay?"

Trisha nodded. "Okay."

Denise sighed in relief. "Good girl."

___________________________

Trisha hadn't had much fun with Lexi. All she did was talk to the air, calling it 'Cathy'. Seriously, couldn't she see there was nothing there?

That was why her new neighbour, Mrs Carlide had invited her to stay for a sleepover on the pretext of her parents on a holiday. Trisha had initially refused, saying it was bad to spy on people, until Mrs Carlide greased her small palm with a fifty-dollar bill, a desperate look on her face.

"Lexi has been talking to the air lately. I want you to tell me if you can see it." Mrs Carlide explained. "Tell me everything she does. Especially if she tries to sneak out at night."

How hard could that be? Trisha nodded.

"Brilliant. I'll call up your parents."

And that was that.

Now in Lexi's bedroom, Trisha shivered, but it had nothing to do with the cold. All day long, she had heard a faint voice whispering in her ear. She had turned around every single time, but saw nothing.

Lexi had been snoozing soundly for the past few hours; she obviously wasn't going to get into any trouble. Not unless 'Cathy' existed...

"Hello, Trisha." the mysterious voice announced, only louder this time.

Trisha ignored it, though her heart was pumping like mad.

Oh God, it exists...

Ten slender, slightly translucent silver fingers waved in front of her face. "Hey, I exist, y'know!"

"I don't bite. I can't even walk. I just want to play a game with you." the voice said, a hint of pleading in its tone.

Trisha said nothing.

"Don't you like games? I know you do. I liked games, so I created one myself. You wanna try it?" the voice asked again.

Trisha suddenly turned around, unable to resist the lure of games. "Ye-"

What she saw froze her to the spot.

The figure's eyes were a glittering scarlet, and its floor-length hair was almost transparent. And as even a little kid knows, nothing says "weird" like floating two entire feet off the ground.

But no screams could come from her throat. It was almost as if the figure had taken her voice.

The figure looked curiously at her. "Cat got your tongue? Oh, never mind. I'm Cathy."

"Cathy?" Trisha said in a small voice. "So Lexi's not insane?"

"Nope. You wanna play the game? It's really fun, it's got a rope and a chair and stuff. You'll remember it for the rest of your life!" Cathy grabbed her arm. "Come on, it only works at this time."

Trisha followed eagerly. This was exciting! A secret game! Whatever next?

"Cathy, Trisha!" Someone called from the bed.

"Lexi?" Trisha asked. "You're awake?"

"What's going on?" Lexi scrambled out of bed and ran to the door, still holding her stuffed goat.

"Didn't you tell me to go away?" Cathy said haughtily, leading a wide-eyed Trisha out of the door.

Lexi faltered. "Yes, but-"

"She didn't," Cathy pointed at Trisha, who was waiting in the corridor. "Bye!"

The door slammed in Lexi's face.

"Cathy! CATHY!" Lexi screamed, bursting through the door. "Why'd you leave me behind?"

Both Cathy and Trisha were long gone, probably already in the kitchen-

The kitchen?

Something flashed across Lexi's mind.

The rope game.

She ran to the other side of the corridor.