Epilogue

The real estate agent, Mrs Robinson never told anyone about the incident that had happened in the beautiful two-storey home nearly two years ago. Her clients didn't ask. She didn't tell. What they didn't know couldn't hurt them.

Andrew and Kayla Freeman were so delighted at the house, they had accepted it upon viewing. The best room, of course, was the playroom. Their little daughter loved it to bits.

_________________________

Gillian the Goat and Smiley the Squirrel were squabbling over a slice of blueberry pie again.

"It's mine!" Six-year-old Delilah, or Dayla, as her parents called her, made her voice extra gruff to sound like a goat.

"No, it's mine!" Now her voice was squeaky, like a small animal.

Plip...plip...plip...

Dayla stopped and put down Gillian and Smiley. What was that sound ?

Plip...plip...

It seemed to be getting louder. Was it from the air conditioning? Or was it raining outside?

Dayla got out of the chair at the table and apprehensively crept towards the sound. Her feet felt slightly cold. Wha-

She saw a trail of wet, shining footprints leading towards the old rocking horse in the corner.

Plip...plip...plip.

A slightly warm finger tapped her on the back.

"AAAAAARRRGH!" Dayla screamed, turning around. "Who are you? What do you want?"

The person who tapped her wasn't human, that was for sure. It seemed to be the figure of a girl. It - she had shoulder-length silvery hair and piercing, long-lashed red eyes. She was staring at Dayla with a grin on her face.

She was dripping wet from head to toe, the water creating the "plip" sound, but when the droplets reached the ground, they seemed to shimmer for a few seconds before disappearing. Her footprints were a glistening silver, fading as she made the next ones.

Dayla took a deep breath and repeated the question.

"What are you?"

The girl was not a ghost, either. Hence the footprints. Ghosts floated above the ground. Now, she brushed back her wet hair and looked straight at Dayla, chilling the girl's heart.

"I'm Lexi," she said, her cold eyes unflinching. She grabbed Dayla's hand, breaking into a smile that didn't seem to match her stare. "We're going to have loads of fun together!"

A friend at last! Dayla lost all her preconceived notions of Lexi and followed in her wake, a trail of silvery-red footprints behind them.