How to write in 3rd person well

3rd person POV is the Point of view in which you show things from a narrator's perspective.

1. You should still focus on the protagonist's thoughts rather than the other characters. If you want to show all of the characters thoughts than you should you 1st person POV writing and switch the POV's through out the story (although I wouldn't recommend doing so, it can often come off looking messy and unorganized but if done well it can really be great)

2. Be very detail oriented. Show things in your writing that may not seem to important but actually turns out to be. Rather it be a simple smell that ends up coming back later in the book. For example let's talk about "Like a Boomerang" a Larry Stylinson fanfic. In that they show how Louis see's a sweatshirt he didn't recognize on his floor and it seems insignificant until every thing comes together and it becomes very important to the story.

3. Don't forget to use dialogue. Stories lacking dialogue are not very interesting. Nobody ONLY wants to read about a characters thoughts. The interaction between characters should still be the main focus.

4. Don't switch POV in the middle of a story. Just don't. Choose one at the beginning and stick with it. Nobody wants to read something where it starts of saying "Harry smiled" and than "I smiled again" it can be very confusing and very uncomfortable to read.

5. Show and Tell. I know people often say "show, don't tell" but honestly you shouldn't just show either. You need to balance the story out with an equal amount of showing and telling.

-Alyssa