Soldiers

One day after school, I was walking home with my friend Vivian. We spotted two soldiers standing in front of the store. "How are you doing ladies?" one of them flirtatiously called out to us. I couldn't help but smile and look at the ground. Vivian spoke up

"We're all doing just fine. What are you boys doing around here?" She shouted back as we walked up to them.

"We just came to hang out and get away from the base. We have some free time so we thought we would spend it in town," the solider explained.

"Would you like to spend it with us?" I quickly asked. The boys looked at each other. Then one of them said,

"Of course we would. Where would you like to go ladies?"

"Let's go back to my house, I'm sure we can find something fun to do," I suggested.

"Alright then, lead the way." Vivian and I walked side by side with the boys all the way to my house. When I opened the door, I shouted to my mother, "Mother, we have company!"

"On the one day I have off you bring home...," she started to say as she walked around the corner. She stopped when she realized that I had the soldiers with me. She looked up and smiled "Oh boys you must be hungry. I have cookies if you want some."

"Thank you Ma'am, we would love some," one of them said to my mother. That day seemed to go by in a flash. We were all having so much fun talking and playing games with each other. But they eventually had to leave. "Sorry ladies, but we have to get back the base."

"Will we be seeing you around here soon?" my mother asked.

"You bet we will," the other solider said as they both put on their jackets and headed for the door. I opened the door for them as they walked past me out onto the porch.

"Bye boys," I shouted after they started to walk down the street. They both turned and waved at us as they continued to walk. I watched them through the window until they disappeared over the hill. After that day, we would always have soldiers come over to visit. "We would all stand by the piano while my mother played and we would all sing." They were great company to have around. My mother always got a kick when the boys would fly the fighter planes over the house. They liked to grab our attention. Even though the war was a very serious time, we still found ways to have fun.