Chapter 5- "All of this is all really overwhelming Ryan"

The day finally came for Lexie to meet Ryan’s parents. Lexie stood in her Christmas best holding a plate of homemade cookies and candies why Lele was standing right next to her in her red Christmas dress. The thought crossed Lexie mind to bolt, but as Ryan opened the door wearing nice gray button down shirt and dress pants the opportunity left.

“Merry Christmas!” Lele cheerfully said.

Leyla leapt into his arms, not even causing Ryan to wobble.

“Merry Christmas to you” he said holding the small child.

He leaned down and kissed Lexie softly. “Merry Christmas” he said.

She smiled.

“What did Santa get you?” He asked Leyla as he set her down on the ground and began to take her jacket off.

“Well some dolls and dresses and stuff” she said.

“Sounds super fun” He said taking the plate from Lexie’s hands and taking her jacket off.

“Don’t be nervous” He whispered as he grabbed her hand and lead her into the family room.

“Hey everyone” Ryan said loudly as he lead Lexie into the room full of people. “I want you to meet my girlfriend Alexandra and her niece Leyla”

When Lexie heard the words ‘girlfriend’ her knees got weak, and throat got really dry.

As Ryan began to introduce her too everyone in his family individually, all she could focus on was her head was spinning.

The two of them never had never discussed what exactly they were; they just ignored the question.

“Ryan told us his girlfriend was pretty, but not this pretty” Ryan’s grandma told Lexie as the elderly women grabbed Lexie’s hand.

“Thank you” Lexie said trying to smile and seem not nervous.

“You’re much prettier than his ex-wife that’s for sure”

‘Ex-wife?’ Lexie thought. Ryan had never told her he had been married. Isn’t that like first date information? Like I love long walk’s on the beach, and I’m divorced. Stuff like that isn’t stuff you forget to mention.

After the introductions, dinner was served. While Leyla gladly talked like she was at home, Lexie was reserved and barely said more than ten sentences the whole dinner.

Lexie felt Ryan place his hand on her knee and began to soothing rub.

“You ok?” He whispered as he looked into her eyes.

She nodded, and took a sip of her wine that was placed in front of her. “Yep just peachy” she said slapping a fake smile on her face.

After the family moved into the living room where gifts were passed out, and gift wrapping was everywhere.

Lexie had bought Ryan a tie and dress shirt not knowing what else to buy, but she had planned to give it to him later.

Lexie looked around for Ryan, but he was nowhere to be found. Then she heard a squeal from behind her.

She turned around in her seat to see Ryan pulling out a So Chic hair salon with a big pink bow on it and a more than happy Leyla jumping up and down.

‘What the hell?’ Lexie asked herself. She had planned on getting that for Leyla.

Ryan smiled as Leyla thanked him. Lexie was upset because all those gifts she had saved her money for Leyla, went out the window.

That was the straw that broke the camel’s back.  She shook her head because this was too much for her. She saw the exit to his balcony, because she needed some fresh air.