the funeral

i kind of re read this- i'm not sure if it read all that smooth though because know there's a part in the middle that's a little rocky, i couldn't think of another way to explain it,  so yeah........... please comment! ( it's not horriblem i ppromise)

                                          My eyes welled as I took the remaining steps that were left before the casket.  I couldn’t picture it'; Kevin’s hands folded neatly over his stomach, pale, eyes open.  It didn’t seem right, not in any way.

“we’ll do it together,” Carson whispered in my ear, taking my  hand.

I nodded, slowly, unable to move my mouth to speak.

One step, two steps ,three steps, four steps, five steps, six.

  We were there. I forced myself with every muscle in my body to look over at Kevin’s body. 

 It wasn’t what expected. His beautiful face was pale, but relaxed-not tense like I had imagined. His always muscular arms looked like had just placed them there for a moment, and perhaps he had.

His eyes were closed and he looked like he was sleeping.

I kissed my hand, and pressed it against his lifeless cheek.

“I love you Kevin, forever and always,”

I grabbed on to Carson, and cried.

                                           “I’m sorry,” I quipped when the funeral was over. “I’m sure you should’ve been with your parents or your realit-“

  “Anna it’s fine,” he told me, smiling, “I’ll drive you home later but your coming to my house  first, right?”

I nodded slowly. “yeah,”

“Alright, come on, before my parents get back,”

                                             his car pulled into the driveway of the house, I’d only been  there twice before, and neither time had anyone else been home.  But still it was familiar. A link to Kevin.

Carson got out of the door and walked around to my door to open it for me.

“thanks,” I said, getting out and closing the door by myself.

“have you ever been here?” he asked, fumbling for the right key.

“yeah,” I answered slowly, looking up at the large, stucco house, “twice,”

he doesn’t acknowledge me though, instead he locks the car and unlocks the house.

“it’s in his room,” he tells me, quietly, motioning for me to follow, but I know where Kevin’s room is – was- I guess . third door on the right, across from the bathroom, navy walls, large TV, pictures of us, walk in closet-

“here we are,” he says slowly opening the door, I follow, two or three paces behind him, looking around the rest of the house. 

When I finally get to his bedroom , it’s painted a baby blue, there’s a picture of me and him, a hospital bed and an oxygen tank.

“the doctor told us, that light colors are more soothing, our mother  believed the crap and repainted his room,”  Carson’s voice cracked on the last word.

“Navy,” I whispered aloud to Carson,  “his room was Navy, this doesn’t look right,”

“damn straight,” he answered, walking into the gigantic closet, “I’ll be right back,”

“k,”

I sat on his bed, the white hospital one, that still had the rails up, not the twin sized bed with the striped mattress.

It smelled like him though, in a weird way,  while the rest of his room smelled like rubbing alcohol and machinery but not the bed.  The bed smelled like the Kevin before everything happed, before he decided to die without ever telling me he was sick, like carson did right now.

“hey , ugh this is the box ,if you want to do it alone I’ll-“

“no, I don’t think I could do it alone,”

He nodded, and handed me the red box, labeled ‘Anna’. I opened it, Apprehensive at first, then eager, what had he left me?