Chapter 3

I spent the rest of the day in a flurry of activity, feeling bubbly with excitement for that evening, but also anxiousness as well. After taking Tadeus back to our apartment and scoffing at his lecture about disobeying our mother, I left him to his video games, made sure he knew to keep the doors locked at all times, and took the bus from Watts into South LA.

Tadeus was a super smart kid, and really grown up for his age. I didn't have any qualms about his ability to be home alone and stay out of trouble.

Finding the dance studio I had researched, I signed up for belly dancing classes and decided to do some sightseeing. I spent the afternoon walking around the city, visiting shops, and admiring the bustling crowds of people, tourists and locals alike.

Noticing the sun sinking lower in the sky, I took the bus back to Watts, trying to get there before my mom did and because I needed to change into something appropriate for the evening get together.

I knew Tadeus would tell my mother I had been gone all day on my own, but honestly, she couldn't get angry at me. I was a grown up. I wasn't a young teenager that couldn't be responsible for their own life and not do things without someone's consent. Still, I knew it would lessen the dramatics of my mother if I was home when she got there.

It was nearly eight o'clock by the time I rushed up to the apartment and jammed my key into the front door, grateful our car was nowhere to be seen. I burst through the door and Tadeus turned on the couch in the living room, cartoons blaring on the TV and a bowl of cereal in front of him.

"Glad to see you aren't dead, idiot," he greeted me dryly before turning back to his show.

I rolled my eyes, sliding my wedge heels off just as I noticed my mother pull in the driveway.

Impeccable timing.

I wasted no time jumping in the shower and then headed to my room, grabbing my hair straightener from the bathroom along the way.

My nerves were unsteady and anxiety boiled up inside of me, like a pot about to overflow. I had no idea who Corner Store Girl was. I didn't even know her name. Where was her get together? I knew people around here could be dangerous and I was naîve about all the things that could happen, but I knew I would resent myself and my weakness if I stayed lonely because I was lowkey scared of this neighborhood. I needed to socialize with other people my age. I was going crazy.

My mother's voice was garbled with my brother's from down the hall a few minutes later as I began straightening my hair.

"Ambra," my mother called, appearing in my doorframe.

I glanced at her as I sat at my vanity, continuing to work on my kohl black hair.

"Tadeus said you were out all day today, that you left him home alone. And you are going out with some strange girl to a party tonight? I hope this is a joke."

I saw my face turn into a grimace in my vanity mirror.

"First of all, I went out to sign up for dance classes and browsed around a little bit. I was perfectly safe. Second of all, I met a girl in the neighborhood and have seen her a few times and she invited me to her work function, not a party."

I stretched the truth a tiny bit, but I knew my mother would naturally overreact and always had to have theatrics. I wasn't in the mood to deal with her emotions, I was already dealing with my nervousness about going.

"I told you not to go out on your own, especially if I don't know where you'll be," she scolded angrily.

I whirled toward her, dropping the hot iron on my vanity, my patience evaporating instantly.