Why? (A HIMYM fanfic)

CHAPTER 1: THEN GO GET HER

The year 2030 Robin POV

I looked at my ex husband and all I could do was ask why? Why did we give up so easily? Why was he in front of my door causing my dogs to bark

like crazy?

"I know we haven't talked in awhile but can I come in?" He asked it with so much hope in his eyes so I let him in.

"What are you doing here Barney?"

3 hours earlier Barney POV

I was tucking Ellie in when she asked me the question I've been regretting the most, "daddy why are you wearing a ring if your alone?" I tried to avoid the real question and answered "I'm not alone I have you" "yeah but we're not married your my daddy, why are you wearing a ring?" she asked. I sighed not knowing exactly how to answer that...

" Well I wasn't always alone you know. Do you remember your Aunt Robin?"

"Of course! why?"

"Well there was a time when we were married"

"Was she the love of your life?"

"Yeah she was..." I answered so truthfully it hurt.

"Then what happened?"

"I guess it just wasn't meant to be"

"If it wasn't meant to be then you wouldn't still be wearing that ring"

"No that just means I'm still in love with her not that she is still in love with me." I answered with a moment of realization.

"Then go get her...I'll be fine just go"

CHAPTER 2: THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY

Robin POV

Barney just finished his story and I didn't know what to say. Was this a confession of love? Why did it take him 3 hours to get here? I decided to go with the second question.

"It doesn't take 3 hours to get here from your apartment..."

"Oh yeah I know but I didn't want to leave Ellie alone so I called Ted but he didn't answer, probably rambling on again, so I called Marshall and dropped her of at Marshall and Lily's...it took surprisingly longer than I expected."

"So...what exactly are you doing here?"

"I had to come and tell you I need you, I miss you all the time, I-I love you and I can't waist anymore time wandering if you still feel the same way."

"I do, but we tried this and we failed why try again?"

"Because not one day has gone by that i stopped thinking about you, I need you back in my life."

"Why do you even like me?"

"I more than like you I love you! You are the great love of my life and I don't want you to be the one that got away. You are so amazing and strong and independent. I don't want to miss out on a third chance, I want to be with you, so what do you say...?" "Yes!"

They

stayed

together

through

everything.

They

never

had

to

know

the

pain

of

being

alone

again.

They

carried

their

love

for

each

other

till

the

end

of

their

days

and

beyond.

Robin

never

asked

why

again.