CHAPTER 6 - Turn Left Turn Right

“YOU GOT US LOST!” Nandini shouted at Adi. They started their drive an hour ago from Delhi to Jaigarh. Sitting in the front passenger seat, her favourite place in any given vehicle that has this particular option, she was trying hard not to pounce on Adi for his lack of sense.

“But I thought I was going in the right direction. I first turned right from the city highway and then took a left. Here look at the map ... ” defended Adi.

“You are an air force pilot, how did you get promoted every year? Flying your chopper in the wrong direction? You out of all of us should have the best sense of direction. Besides, there is something called a GPS in the car, I am sure you know how to use it.”

“Relax! Guys let’s just ask some passerby where exactly we are and which way should we go” Yosuf suggested.

“In the desert?” asked Nandini

“We are not in the desert. At least not yet.” Adi defended himself again.

“Okay, we are in a deserted highway in Rajasthan. Is that helpful?” asked Nandini annoyed.

“Much more promising than being in the middle of the desert” piped in Yosuf.

Instantly laughter broke out inside the car. Nandini was just pure glad that they had enough water with them.

The noise of their laughter woke Anita up from her peaceful slumber. She had no clue about the current situation. With drowsy eyes she asked “What’s the joke?”

“Aditya got us lost” replied Sampoorna with annoyance clear in her voice. After she filled Anita with the rest of the details of their current situation, it took at least half a minute for Anita to realise the seriousness of the situation they were in. She peered at Adi from behind his seat and then turned to look at Nandini.

Nandini took her cue and said “I suggest instead of standing on the highway we drive into the nearest village and ask for help”

“Good idea” said Anita

“Our Nandu is always resourceful” piped in Yosuf

“As I have always said, she is always pregnant with ideas” added Adi.

“Quit dissing me and drive” said Nandini.

“You know Nandu, we are not letting you and Adi get hitched. Why are you still so tight and judgemental with Adi?” asked Anita out of the blues.

“It’s okay Neetu, I did not exactly do anything to escape judgements, I screwed up remember?” Adi helped Nandini

“Precisely” said Yosuf. “She has every right to be angry with him and be judgemental about everything he does. Do not lose a single opportunity Nandu, aim straight for the bull’s eye till your target is achieved” he added.

“Trust me I will” confirmed Nandini in no uncertain terms.

The milestone at the side of the road read ‘1/2 a mile to Rampura’. All they needed to do was drive straight into the village of Rampura and ask someone of the direction to Jaigarh.

“Pull over” said Anita suddenly.

“What?” everyone asked.

“Just pull over” she said further without any explanation.

“Are you alright?” asked Yosuf concerned. “Are you having the urge of going behind the bushes? ’Cause if you are, then let me point out, there aren’t any out here” he added.

“Oh shut up. I don’t have the urge of going behind the bushes, just the need of some fresh air. Adi just pull over please.”

Finally Adi pulled over and they all got out to stretch their sore bodies.