CHAPTER 1

I feel such a strong push that I lose my balance. I fall violently to my knees. The shouts and insults start, I feel his hands grabbing my shirt and pulling hard on it. I notice how it presses my neck when he does it. He turns me around and effortlessly places me at the height of his eyes. Drops of saliva mixed with alcohol reach my cheeks and nose when he speaks, he is totally out of control...

Mario wasn't like this when I first met him. We've been together for over five years, and these last two have been a hell. We started dating in college. Since then, he's been my first and only love. I'm unable to leave him, I dare not, I fear of his reaction. I know if I do he will go crazy and nobody knows what he's capable of.

I don't understand why I still love him, but sometimes I think it is not love but pity that I feel. I'm the only person Mario has in his life, he got fired from his job ten months ago and he hasn't talked to his family for ages. He is very proud and has one only friend, who he gets drunk with almost daily.

Today the reason for his anger was because when he arrived at home there was no beer in the fridge. Yesterday, because it took me too long to open the door. He had lost his keys, and when he called me I was taking a shower. Three days ago, because I didn't answer a message instantly, as I was in an important meeting...

Each passing day is worse. With great subtly, over the years, he has been gaining ground. He started yelling at me and seeing that because of my fear I did what he wanted, he felt powerful (I see it daily in his eyes) and continued with insults. Soon came the threats, and now he assaults me physically with no mercy.

'Mario, please, let me go, and calm down. I just arrived home from work and had no time to check the fridge, yesterday there were twelve cans left...' No matter what I say he doesn't give me a choice, and he doesn't remember that it was him that drank all of them either.

'Who did you invite while I was gone? Tell me, bitch!'

First slap. I feel the familiar taste of blood in my mouth. I know that I cut the inner cheek with my teeth with the impact, in just the same place as yesterday. I cross my arms over my face to prevent more damage, but now there is a strong punch that hits my ribs. The pain is so intense that makes me expel all the air in my lungs. It feels like I will never be able to fill them up again. My arms fall because of the shaking, leaving my face defenseless. He takes an advantage of it to give me another blow to the jaw.

My eyes close and an incredible sensation of peace invades me. 'How can something so nice invade me right now?' I think. My body relaxes. I hear my quiet breath, but all the other noises disappear slowly until I hear nothing. I feel like jelly and my body doesn't answer my commands. I know I fall to the ground at the same time receiving more kicks, but I feel nothing anymore...

Jingles and whistles in the distance, murmurs... My sense of hearing is returning. Tearing papers, plastic batting in the air, fabrics and liquids. I don't need to open my eyes to perceive people around me. A sweet, husky male voice pierces my ear canal. I'm pretty sure it's not Mario's voice. A strong headache grips me, I try to get my hands to my face, but someone stops me.

'Don't move, Natalia. Can you open your eyes?' This time the voice is female.

'Yes, I think so.' I answer, but when I start to do so, the next question comes, which freezes my blood.

'Do you remember what happened?' Of course I do, but I can't tell her. The fear I have that they can read the truth in my eyes forces me to keep them closed.

'I don't know...' I answer quickly.

'Your boyfriend told us that you felt down the stairs when you were going shopping. Do you remember? The poor man is waiting outside really nervously for news.'