Chapter 5

I round the curb and make it past the few blocks to my apartment. The garage door creaks open as if in acknowledgment to my return. I run my fingers slightly on my car as I enter the apartment through the side door.

Memories flood back as I recall all the memories I had made in this very apartment. Pictures of my childhood and teen years fill the fireplace and walls.

Boy oh boy were there so many emotions I'd kept bottled up to survive!

I hear the grass in front of the house rustle and rush to the blinds. Parting the blinds , I realize a silhouetted rushing to a black car across the road.

A matte black M3!

Damn I knew my instincts were right!

I quickly memorize the number plate as the car zooms into the night. "896 REN, whoever you are , get ready to be snuffed out in the morning," I say to myself. 

I relax in the shower as the cold water bounces off my skin bringing immense relief.

I jump into bed right after and doze off as images of Vincent's dead body flash before my eyes right as I fall into a deep slumber. 

The night passes quickly and before I realize my bedside clock is beeping 6:30 am. "Time to go to work I guess," I yawn out loudly.

I quickly shower, dress up and get into my car. All the radio stations comment about what they think caused Vincent's death. "The Vancouver Police Unit has called in one of its most formidable detectives to help in their investigations. Detective Ed...,"I cut the radio presenter short before I could hear my name mentioned.

"This isn't good,now everyone knows I'm around," I thought to myself. I parked my car next to Chief's and walk into the precinct.

A few old colleagues give me a thumbs up as I walk past them. A few are also huddled around a table clearly gossiping about me.

"Eddie,could you come over here for a moment? There's something I want you to see," I hear Chief call from his office as he pokes his head out.

I quicken my steps and sit in the chair right behind his door. He throws a file to me. "That's what you asked for. In that you have everyone Vincent ever knew. Their addresses, contacts and everything else," he says as he walks around and sits on the side of his massive oak table. " And as always you were right, it was a clean job no sign of breaking in and entry and not even a single fingerprint on the crime scene. Just boot marks with mud traces which can be associated to anyone," he says.

"Wonder why I didn't notice those ," I say surprised. "Exactly dear boy because they could have been yours but judging from the marks they were smaller in size," he responds.

"Alright Chief, but first I need to trace a car that has been trailing me since I left Vincent's place yesterday," I say to him. "That's easy. Got the chance to get the plate?" He asks. "Yeah 896 REN it's a black M3," I respond.

"Arnold, black M3 896 REN ring that up for me now!" He shouts out. "On it boss," comes a distant answer.

"What did you tell Anna when we were leaving yesterday Chief," I ask. "I told her to calm herself down because you wouldn't rest until you brought the culprit to book," he says smiling. "Oh well, it's not going to be easy," I sigh.

" I know that Eddie but you  ....." "Matte Black BMW M3 registration 896 REN purchased 3 months ago by SkyDiver Rentals,"Arnold bustles into the office out of breath saying cutting Chief short.

"Alright then, showtime is here ," I say putting on my glasses and walking out of the office.

Hellooo there ☺️🤗 Chapter 5 is here and thanks for all the kind words and constructive criticism I've received I appreciate it 🙏🏽⚡️

So the story is gradually unfolding
Who do you think was tailing Eddie? Is it  Vincent's killer? We'll find out soon in Chapter 6😊
It's bye for now😊