5

The Isleans were rich and powerful. The arrived in style, large carriages with gold leaf, strong white horses, the very epitome of wealth.

King Uther and his knights, including Arthur, met them on the steps. Merlin stood behind them with Gaius and the other servants.

After welcoming them into the castle and settling them down in the guest sleeping quarters, everyone gathered in the Meeting Hall.

"I am honoured," King Uther said as he sat in the throne at the head of the table, "as is the whole of Camelot, to host such delightful company. You are most welcome here, and we wish you to treat out castle and it's staff as it they were your own."

The welcome meeting didn't last long, and soon Merlin was once again stood in Arthur's room, about to polish the candlesticks.
Arthur walked in, looking tired.

"Oh, Merlin," he said.

"Arthur?"

"What are you doing?"

"Just polishing the candlesticks."

"Could you run an errand for Sir Drien? He's just heading down to the dungeons. The Isleans have a special prisoner who was awaiting trail at their castle, but his trail clashed with their visit, so they're going to judge him in our courts instead. He wanted to make sure that our cells were secure."

Merlin nodded, "yep, that's fine."

"Merlin?"

He looked at Arthur.
"Yes?"

Arthur frowned, staring at Merlin with ...something, deep in his eyes.

"Are you okay?"

Merlin was taken aback. He never thought Arthur considered his wellbeing, especially from his recent tonne of extra work and grueling training sessions.

"It's just..." Arthur rubbed the back of his neck, looking sheepish. "The other day, in training... We went pretty hard on you, and I've noticed you've been a bit quiet since..."

Merlin's chest filled with sunshine.

He wanted to say, 'you do care!', but instead said,
"I'm okay, Arthur. Really." He pulled down his shirt at the shoulder and showed Arthur the bandage. "It's pretty much healed."

Arthur's eyes widened at the bandage. This was not the response Merlin had hoped for.

"Arthur," he said, placing a hand on the prince's arm, "don't worry about me. Focus on the Isleans."

"It's just... I don't want to..." Arthur took a deep breath. "My father was always mistreating servants and he would talk about it as though they meant nothing. I... I don't want to be like him. You are a servant, Merlin, but you ...I don't think it's right to dismiss harming someone, no matter their status."

Merlin actually had to blink back tears.

"Anyway... If you're okay, " Arthur continued, "could you go and run that errand? I mean, you still have to work..."

Merlin smiled.

"Yes Arthur. And thank you."

"That's okay. But Merlin, sorry to be a pain, but one more thing... My father's asked all the servants to call me 'Sire' or 'My Lord' in front of the Isleans? Just as etiquette, you know..."

Merlin's smile vanished.
For a second he had almost been Arthur's equal.
Then he remembered his position.

"I- yes, of course," he said, and left for the dungeons.