Chapter 1: Aboard the Hogwarts Train

HOGWARTS TRAIN

Clutching my new great horned owl's cage, I trailed after my guardian and Nymph, my light eyes wide with wonder – before me was the legendary Hogwarts Express, steaming merrily. People crowded on the platform, teenagers attempting to comfort their sobbing mothers, animals screeching, kids laughing, pushing, chatting; I kept a firm grip on Andromeda's hand as my cousin pushed my trolley (which held my luggage). Finally coming to a stop, I noticed the large family that had congregated before us: all possessed flaming red hair, freckles and broad grins. Several of the boys were piling their belongings onto the train, and my cousin followed suit.

"Nova!" Mrs. Weasley, a plump witch with a gentle smile, pulled me into a soft hug. "You look so beautiful, darling – although a bit thin, I may add." As she said this, her sparkling eyes glared at my guardian – Andromeda merely snorted in response.

"I could feed her the world and she'd still be like that, Molly," my guardian responded swiftly, gifting the other witch a mild smile. This lit up her face immediately – showcasing Andromeda's beauty. With dark brown curls, coffee coloured eyes and strong features, Andro was breath taking. I sometimes felt envy ripping at my gut whenever I watched her – and as she beamed, it returned.

Shaking my head, I edged towards the youngest Weasleys: a lanky boy called Ron and bold Ginny. Unfortunately, she was still a year too young to be attending Hogwarts, but as Ron was my age I figured we'd take the train together. Having played Quidditch and other games over the last 5 summers with them, the Weasley children and I were close.

Gifting Ron a grin of my own, he returned a toothy one in response. My eyes dawdled on a spot of dirt on the tip of his freckled nose; before I could open my mouth to tell him about it, his mother spotted it. Launching into action, she began to scrub his nose furiously until the blushing boy shoved her away. "Bloody hell, mum," Ron muttered, his cheeks flushed with red – it clashed with his hair.

I let out a small laugh before I turned to face Nymph and Andromeda – both were watching me with happy smiles on their faces. Pulling them both into a big hug, I allowed them to peck me on the cheek before I stepped back. Tears welled up in Andromeda's eyes – they shone like topaz. Nymph abruptly sniffed loudly, her whole face contorting for a moment before she almost whacked me on the head.

"I hope you have a great time at old Hoggywarts, Nov-nov," my cousin said, her voice choking slightly on emotion. I nodded several times back, finding that a waterfall had developed in my eyes. Glancing once more to Andro, she gave me a watery smile. Knowing that she was too emotional to even speak, I heaved a sigh of determination before swivelling back to face Ron and the train. He idled beside it, nervous eyes focused on me – realising he was waiting, I sprang upon the train steps. With one last wave to my beloved family, I proceeded to drag Ron down the train corridor – every compartment seemed full. Some returned my curious gaze as I peered in their windows, whilst others simply ignored me. Eventually, as we reached the end of the train, we found an empty compartment aside from one boy.

He had inky black hair which messily fell over his glasses until he reached to brush it back. Dressed in baggy, faded clothes, I felt an itch of sympathy for the boy; he emitted loneliness. Releasing Ron's arm, I slid open the screen to the compartment and stepped forwards, breathing in slightly. "Can we sit in here? Everywhere else is full," I inquired – pausing momentarily as his striking green eyes slide towards me. He flushed slightly before giving a short nod – I pushed Ron inside, who flopped down opposite the boy. Following suit, I sat down, pulling my grey jacket down slightly. Ron stared in awe at the boy – just as I was about to ask him why, he opened his mouth.