20 - She's Dead

Cameron -

Agreeing with Gray was a lot harder when a gun was pointed at her head.

Judging by the look on her face, I knew she realized what was happening.

"Say your prayers."

André had Gray's neck between his arm and his chest, his other arm holding a gun to her scalp. She looked at me calmly, as if she knew exactly what to do.

I held up my arms, my gun in hand. "Just let her go, André. Don't do something you'll regret."

He had this crazy look in his eyes like he was planning on doing the exact opposite.

"This is for homecoming in ninth grade!" He shouted, about to pull the trigger, but suddenly a blue paint splatter stained the side of his head.

Blinking as if unable to comprehend what just happened, he groaned, "Aw, dammit."

He sighed, standing up and walking to the wall with everyone else.

What the hell?

Gray and I sat there, confused, until she shrugged, with a smile. "We did it!"

"Congratulations, Gray." I cheered, standing up and offering her a hand. She declined it, standing on her own.

"Not so bad yourself, Cameron."

We shook hands, ready to wait out the fifteen seconds left on the timer, when, out of nowhere, Gray was shot in the stomach, and I in the chest.

Leonardo, the guy I met before the game, came out from behind a rock with his arms raised and a smile on his face.

"Yes! Hahaaa, yes, suckers!" He yelled in victory.

We were speechless.

Everyone cheered, greeting us all and congratulating Leonardo.

"That was some intense Hunger Games shit right there." Jonice commented.

Everyone agreed, even the kids we didn't know. Elsie, on the other hand, was busy talking to the winner.

"All players please exit to the nearest door, also the only door. And hurry up, we have people waiting."

I looked at Gray, waiting for everyone to start moving. She faced me, making intense eye contact.

Her eyes. They're gorgeous.

"That was really fun. We need to do this again sometime, as a team." I told her as I nudged her arm.

A ghost of a smile appeared on her face. It was annoyingly attractive when she did that, like she was teasing me. I just wished that if she was going to smile, she'd give me the whole damn thing.

"Maybe. It was pretty exciting. I've only played paintball-laser tag once and that was three years ago with an ex." She admitted.

We began following our friends, taking off our gear and putting away our guns.

"Oh, I didn't properly introduce you." Gray said, grabbing Kristwen and pulling her to us.

"Kristwen, this is Cameron, the new kid. Cameron, meet Kristwen, my friend and station partner."

I held out a hand to Kristwen, who took it gratefully. "Nice to finally put a face to the name." She greeted.

A face to the name? Had Gray talked to Kristwen about me?

Gray shared a look with Kristwen that clearly said, "what the actual hell?"

I laughed nervously, trying to hide the awkward giddiness I felt. The two looked back at me, smiling sickly.