[ 3 ] I Left Them

CHAPTER THREE

we must risk going to far to discover just how far we can go. yet, you can't blame others if you go too far, because it's your own fault the path you've chosen is the wrong one  "

    "Clarke, I told you this was a bad idea! I had a plan!" I hiss over the sounds of the alarms, glaring at the blonde

"Alert, code five."

The override voice sends chills up my spine, making Clarke and I walk faster.

We had taken Maya's keycard. It would get us places we needed to be. It was a good plan, yet it would've been better if I had gotten time to cut the surveillance cameras. Now, they would have an even tighter leash on us. Or worse, we'd be punished.

"If we're not prisoners, how come we don't have the same privileges as the others?" Clarke mumbles under her breath, watching my prying gaze.

"Well, we're this far already. If we can get out, let's do this," I mumble, pushing myself to a run. My stomach concaves for a moment, rejecting my decision to run.

Clarke follows behind me, and I grit my teeth. I had fought battles with a broken arm. I can do a little running. I slid to a stop, guards coming around the corners with guns.

Clarke turns around panting. "They're on the other side too," She gasps. I reach for her wrist, tugging her sideways.

"This way," I mutter, knowing where this led. Just because I couldn't get here, didn't mean I hadn't figured out there was a hallway here. Watching people had become a habit, and many workers came here. Plus, there were vents. At night when I woke up with nightmares in my bunk, I would crawl through the spaces to try and find an exit. I remember Dante saying something about a dam. Maybe there would be an exit that way?

My hand latches onto Clarke, dragging her behind me. We dart between poles and cut across the wide open space, engines humming everywhere. Even with that, I can hear the thunder of footsteps behind us.

Fear spikes in my chest, being reminded of the grounders chasing Roma and I. And then Roma got speared. My chest constricts once again before I push myself even faster.

By now, Clarke and I-- as well as the rest of the remaining hundred, ran pretty much automatically. Whether it was from grounders, psychopaths, you name it. We had grown used to it.

Clarke and I slide to a stop.

Restricted Area. Authorized Personnel Use Only.