Chapter 18

Cliff and I were waiting for Ben, he and I sat in silence until I broke it by speaking.

"So, are you planning on explaining yourself?" I asked Cliff.

"Where should I start?" He let out a chuckle as if his situation wasn't already funny enough.

"Why don't you start from the beginning." I replied.

"Do you really think you can take my story? Its pretty dark." Cliff threatened.

"Try me."

--------

Our drive back home was silent. The story Cliff told me really struck me, I didn't know anyone was capable doing such things.

The moment we arrived, I saw police tape all around the vicinity. Multiple police scurrying all around our house, the red and blue light gleaming in my eyes. Corpses were being put in a body bag.

The injured staff were lifted in a stretcher and sent to the hospital, my dad wasn't present. He didn't even bother to call if I'm okay.

Ben tried calling him but was sent to voice. I tried contacting Carter but to no avail when Ben told me that he left for Paris. I'm positive that my dad knows what happened here, he's connected to every single thing in the house.

"I met Jordan when I was fourteen." Cliff began. I wanted to look at him but since I was seated at the back, it was difficult to do so.

"Back then I was nothing but an asset. I was trained to kill and nothing else, my handlers tried to let me go when they noticed changes in my behaviour."

I snapped out of my thoughts when I saw Ben handing me a cup of water as well as some crackers. I patted to the free space beside me by the fountain, he took a sit and sat with me.

"Where's Cliff?" I asked.

"Casing the perimeter. He told me since they've located him it might be dangerous for you." Ben answered.

"How nice of him to worry about me." I let out a dry laugh as I watched Cliff unveil himself from the bushes.

"By changes in your behaviour, do you mean you're becoming mental?" I asked.

"They're way of controlling assets isn't the most humane. I was on the verge of loosing my mind and it was showing in my performances. I was killing way too many people than I'm supposed to." Cliff replied.

"Excuse me Ma'am?" A police officer came. I nodded to acknowlegde his presence and gestured for him to continue.

"Is it okay for us to ask you a few questions? You are the daughter of Gerald Greene aren't ya?" The police officer asked me. I agreed to let myself be taken in to questioning, if I was in the same position, I'd want to know what happened too.

"At my last mission, I snapped. I finished my mission and killed most of handlers too. They tried to kill me and left me to die but they didn't finish all the way through." Cliff continued.

"That's when they found you by the cliff of the asylum?" I asked.

"Yes." He said simply, "I was eighteen back then. I was old enough to get confined inside the asylum. That was the moment that I was still freshly crazy so they took me in." Cliff laughed at himself.

"Ma'am where were you when the attack happened?" A female officer asked me.

"I was at the lower ground of the house." She asked a bunch more questions and each one I answered truthfully, I don't really see the point in lying.

"What about Jordan?" I asked.

"Jordan was a daughter of my mission. She was eight years old back then, I had to do my mission silently and she just so happen to be sleeping at the next room. I took her with me." He replied.

I saw Ben exit the local clinic and said his farewells as well as the apologies to the doctor. He was on his way to the car and I kept silent, I didn't want a CIA agent to know about Cliff and his story.

"Thank you Ma'am. We will contact your father, in the mean time, you and your party and stay at a local hotel. All expenses paid by the precint." The female officer said to me.

"Thank you."

"I'll have someone escort the three of you to the hotel." The officer offered.

"That won't be necessary." Ben interrupted our conversation as he strided to where we are.

"Ben Prise, CIA." Ben took out his badge and showed it to the officer, "I'll escort these kids myself, I'll also be reporting this to the agency. You'll be hearing from us."

The officer nodded at that and left us with Ben. Ben motioned for me to follow him as he entered the car that we stole from the abandoned hospital. Cliff wordlessly followed after us.

"He'll kill you." I said the moment we entered the car.

"I know." Ben replied nonchalantly.

Ben drove us to the hotel that we'll be staying at, he accompanied us inside the lobby and checked in for us. The receptionist gave Ben the room keys and he stayed with us until we reached our rooms.

Cliff and I had our own separate rooms, he and I are staying across each other. Ben handed Cliff his room key and he went inside. I stayed to say my farewells to Ben before going inside.

"Be careful. I'm positive that my dad will be hunting you when he knows that you're an undercover agent all this time." I warned him.

"It's not me you should be worried about." Ben smirked and patted me by the should before leaving.

I watched his retreating body disappear as he went inside the elevator. I gave him one last wave goodbye before the elevator doors closed.

I opened my hotel room and went inside. It was small but at least I had a room over my head, that was enough to keep me going. I was left alone with my thoughts, I lied down on my bed and contemplated.

I feel so alone. I have no one. My dad's not even looking for me, Carter's gone, Ben left, I'm left alone with a man I barely knew.

As my tears left my eyes and fell down my face, I slowly closed my eyes as I cried myself to sleep hoping that tomorrow will be an okay day for me.