Happy Halloween (Part 1)

(JJ's POV)

My alarm clock went off way too early this morning, so I couldn't help but hit the snooze button once or twice... or six times. By the time I was actually up and going it was 9:30. I walked downstairs and saw Jake sitting in the family room with Odette and Arrow. I was curious to see what they were talking about, so I hid at the bottom of the stairs to listen. 

"Jake," Arrow started, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure." 

"Why are boys so stupid?"

He laughed out loud, but the tried to contain himself. I wanted to laugh knowing right then how awkward this conversation was going to get. 

"Well, uh, you're only in eighth grade, so the guys at school still only care about what time practice is at, and if their mom got more pizza pockets." I had to put my hand over my mouth to keep myself from laughing out loud at that one. "Why do you ask?"

Odette was laughing now too, "She's mad because she can't get Sam's attention." 

"Whose this Sam guy?"

"Just the man of her dreams." Odette mocked. I was a little concerned because this was the first time I was hearing about him too. 

"Man of your dreams huh? How do you know he's the man of your dreams? What if he has bad breath?"

"He doesn't." Arrow quickly spat back. 

"What if he refuses to wear deodorant?" I could tell he was messing with her, and I was having fun listening. 

"He doesn't!!" 

"What if...! HE PICKS HIS NOSE-"

"HE DOESN'T!!" She yelled, trying to defend this so called Sam. 

"-AND EATS IT!" 

"Jake! You're so gross!" She yelled, throwing a pillow across the room at him. 

"Hey, I'm just saying. Maybe he isn't as amazing as he seems." 

"Oh and you would know?"

"Uh yeah... I used to be a fourteen year old guy too." 

"And you just magically turned into Mr. Perfect?"

"Mr. Perfect huh?" He asked, impressed. I could see right where this was going and it had me worried. 

"Yeah," Arrow said casually, "That's what JJ has as your name in her phone. And what she calls you whenever she's talking to our mom." 

"Huh." I could tell Jake was loving this. "What else does she say about me?"

"That you're the best guy for her, and she couldn't imagine being with anyone else. She also cries whenever she talks about you though." 

"Oh..." He was obviously hurt hearing that. 

"Odette and I just try to stay out of it, so we don't hurt her even more." 

"I know why she's crying." He mumbled. 

"Why does she cry so much?" Odette asked.

"It's because I messed up big time. It all started two months ago when she was trying to tell me about her internship, and I completely blew up on her selfishly. I wasn't thinking and I just left. Since then, things haven't been the same. We both have made mistakes and we're just trying to figure things out." I was having hard time listening to this, but wanted to hear more of how he felt. "I would wait for her for the rest of my life, but I screwed up big time. I don't know if I'll ever be able to fix what I did."