Pass Away || Chapter 5

I saw Liz outside Luke's room with her head in her hands, obviously crying. All of a sudden, this rush and urge to get to him just stopped. Could I face seeing the effects of the crash knowing this was because of one stupid thing I couldn't keep my mouth shut about?

I sat down next to Liz not saying anything, just thinking. She looked up, bloodshot eyes, blotchy skin and tear stains down her cheeks. "It's bad Bree" her voice cracked, tearing me from my thoughts. I got up still not saying a thing, and walked into his room.

There he was. Lying in bed, wires attached to him everywhere possible. This broke my heart. He didn't look the slightest bit comfy not peaceful as he usually did when he slept.

I sneaked over to the chair that was next to the bed, and took grip of his hand closest to me. I held onto it like my life was on the line, but instead, his life was on the line and needed the grip more than I did. Tears falling down my cheek without thought.

A nurse walked in. She was quite short, had long brown hair that was in a messy bun sort of style and the usual nurse uniform. She had a clipboard with her and read the details off it to me.

"Traumatic Brain Injury"

She listed a few things, but this one stood out the most.

"What's traumatic brain injury?" i questioned my voice all shaky from the tears. She began to explain how it's an extremely serious injury after a car crash, how its effected his memory and he has a fractured skull. I can't handle this any more. Knowing he might not even remeber who i am, or who anyone was, broke my heart.