Chapter 6

"Care for some breakfast in bed?" Vaskin asked, as Manx yawned and rubbed her eyes.

"Wha?..." Manx started, confused. She then noticed the tray of fruit and eggs and other delicacies he had brought in for her, and she lowered her eyes, saying, "You didn't have to do that for me."

"It's no problem, really." Vaskin replied, sitting down on the edge of the bed. He reached out his arm to touch his wrist to her forehead to feel her temperature, but she ducked away and gave him an annoyed scowl.

"I'm perfectly fine and ready to get back on the quest, so keep your hands to yourself!" Manx snapped.

Vaskin's shoulders fell a little as he said, "I just want to make sure you're alright."

"You've done enough already, and I've already told you a dozen times that I'm fine!" Manx retorted, climbing out of the bed in her clothes from the day before, complete with bandages.

"Manx..." Vaskin started, before she cast him a glare as she looked in the mirror, saying, "You've already done enough by ripping off the bottom of my favorite shirt in your attempt at bandaging the wound, and seeing as the rest of my clothes are still damp what am I supposed to wear? There is no way I am going out in public like this!"

"I think you look great in a cropped shirt." Vaskin replied.

"Stop looking at me like that!" Manx replied, crossing her arms over her exposed furry stomach and wrinkling her nose in defiance.

"If you like I can take you to the nearby market. The Empress gave us a little bit of cash for picking up needed supplies, and what's to say you don't need new clothes?" Vaskin said with a sly smile.

"First I'm putting a real shirt on." Manx indignantly huffed, grabbing a pale orange shirt from her pack and climbing into the small closet, slamming its door behind her. She could easily see in the dark closet and was out of there in no time, more comfortable in a longer shirt, despite the fact that it was damp and musty.

"We are definitely getting you some new clothes." Vaskin said as he gathered up all his belongings he had brought with into his pack.

Manx rolled her eyes and replied, "I really don't care what I have to wear as long as it isn't too revealing and smells better than the stuff that got ruined in the swamp."

"Well, you certainly deserve better than, well...that." Vaskin said, gesturing to her worn orange shirt and torn grey pants.

"At least I didn't bring the new stuff I bought with my mother and Ivy and Ravenna." Manx shot back.

Vaskin sighed and said, "I guess you're right." at which she crossed her arms with an indignant huff and said, "We better get moving on our quest or the Empress will not be pleased."

Vaskin nodded and opened the door, politely gesturing her to go first. She rolled her eyes at him again and he offered her a soft smile. He then went to the front desk of the inn and returned the keys, and the two of them were off again into the great unknown of their adventure.

After they had walked some distance away from the inn, Vaskin sat down and pulled a map of the region from his pack and regarded it with scrutiny. After a few minutes, he rolled up the map and stood up.

"The nearest market is a day's walk from here. Maybe when we get there we should get you a horse or something to take the burden off your feet." Vaskin said. Manx nodded quietly, and they were off once again on their long journey.

*****

Leif watched as Hadrix greeted Kaeliyra, a female dragon he had been dating for over two years. The golden female stretched her neck out with a soft purr, giving Leif's brother an affectionate nuzzle. Leif crossed her forelegs with a disinterested sigh, her eyes downcast and her tail twitching like that of an irritated cat.