Chapter 10

Manx clung to Vaskin's arm, both of them frozen in fear as they gazed into the eye of the giant bird

Manx clung to Vaskin's arm, both of them frozen in fear as they gazed into the eye of the giant bird. She could feel her heart throbbing in her chest, and she knew she had to act quickly. Manx closed her eyes, praying that this wouldn't be their final moment. The one thought that raced through her head was that she would rather be anywhere than here. Before she knew what she was doing, a vortex of shadows swirled around her and Vaskin, pulling them to some unknown location.

"Where...where are we?" Vaskin asked nervously.

Manx opened her eyes and looked around. They were standing outside the entrance to a cave, high within the mountains. It seemed as if they were on a wide ledge, almost as if they were standing on an island in the sky. Manx looked out over the ledge and she could see the entire city, with the Empress' palace in the center, and every step of the path they had followed on their quest.

"I don't know..." Manx said nervously. "But I think we're safe, for now at least. I think I can see the Roc from up here."

"Good thinking, Manx." Vaskin said.

"I really don't know why we're here. I've never seen this place before." Manx said, still trying to peice together where she had teleported them to. She was distracted from her thoughts when she heard the soft sound of metal jungling against metal.

"Vaskin, what are you doing?" She asked, turning towards him.

Vaskin looked up at her from all fours, kneeling in a pile of gold coins, and he said, "What? It's just laying out here in the open."

"I don't think that's a good idea." Manx said.

"C'mon, it's free gold! How is that not a good idea!" He replied, shoveling more handfulls of gold coins into his pockets.

"How do you know that it isn't a dragon's hoard or the spoils of some other creature? I don't know where we are so could you please be careful." Manx said, nervously watching as he began shoving gold down his shirt once his pockets were full.

"I'm sure it'll be fine. Besides, if there was a dragon or something guarding this stuff then it would be on me in an...OUCH!" he said, suddenly pulling his hand back in pain. Manx teleported to his side and grabbed his hand before he could do anything else.

"Let me see that!" Manx said, wincing at the trickle of blood that was pouring down his palm. A three inch piece of glass was embedded into his hand between the bones of his pointer and middle fingers on his left hand.

"OW OW OW!" he whimpered as Manx inspected the wound.

"It didn't go all the way through." she said softly, gingerly pulling the glass shard from his hand and tearing off a piece of his shirt to bandage the wound.

"Where did that come from?" Vaskin whimpered, cradling his injured hand.

"You must have been too distracted by the gold that you didn't notice the broken mirror. See, I told you something like that would happen!" she replied, still holding his wounded hand.