Chapter Six: Math Problems and New Beginnings

Right before I started knocking on the wooden door, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

"It's just a study session" I whispered to myself, breathing out, and finally knocking on the door.

I waited and had by heart pounding in my ears, so loud I could barely hear Luke coming to the door. But when he opened it, I stopped breathing again.

He had his hair in a very messy quiff, and wore a singlet that he often wears to work, but this time he covered his arms with a plaid shirt. He smiled at me, and said' "Hey, how are you?"

I wasn't sure if we were good enough friends to hug when seeing each other, so I just kind of hugged my bag to my side and kinda moved past Luke into the hallway. I turn around to see Luke staring at me while closing the door, kinda like he was waiting for something.

He asked me a question! "Oh, I'm doing good, how about you?" Way to be smooth Julia.

"Pretty good actually" Luke smiles, walking ahead to lead me.

I watched as his tall, broad body moved swiftly down the hallway, his barefooted feet softly padding on the ground. I was so busy watching Luke, I almost missed the baby picture framed on the wall.

I burst out laughing, making Luke turn around, and groan.

"It's bad I know, Cal laughs every time he comes over" Luke sighs, nervously shoving his hands in his pockets.

"No no, it's-" I try to explain, taking the picture in again. It was a picture of a very chubby Luke, maybe 2 or 3 years old, in a bright red sweater and suspenders, sitting in a wooden chair. It was taken at a professional studio, given the background, and his face looked so forced, it was hilarious. "It's cute" I finish, smiling.

Luke's face reddens, as he puts his hand up to fix his hair. There was an awkward silence as Luke continued to look at the ground, and I tried to busy myself by staring at the picture.

"The uh, kitchen is right here" Luke interrupts the silence, motioning his head to the doorway where I presumed the kitchen was.

I follow Luke and silently place my bag on the counter, taking out my math book and pencil case. Luke walks to the fridge, and opens it.

"Want anything?"

I politely shake my head, "No thanks".

Luke comes back to where I was seated, and slides onto the stool beside me, sliding in so far that his thigh briefly touches mine. I didn't sense Luke tensing up by our legs touching, so I didn't think anything of it. I could smell the cologne wafting from Luke, and praised myself for actually putting on my good perfume.

I almost forgot I was here to do math homework.

"So that's how you do a quadratic equation when solving for that" Luke explains, tapping the end of his pencil on my paper.

I nod my head, biting the end of my pencil, concentrating on the problem. "And if the height were doubled, that means-"

"The variable would have to be doubled" Luke finishes for me, smiling at me.

I smiled back, and I'm not gonna lie, I got lost in his eyes. But before I did or said anything I would surely be embarrassed about, the kitchen was filed with noise.

"Hey Luke- who's this?"

I turn my head to the voice, and I see an older version of Luke holding grocery bags in his arms, most likely his older brother.

"Hey Luke- who's this?"

"This is Julia-"

"Mum! Luke's got a girl with him in the kitchen!" Ben yells out the door, setting the bags on the counter.