{Chapter Nineteen}

I Do, you handsome bastard

May 1st, 2018

Lenore

"Rise and shine!! A girl can't miss her own wedding day!"

I was quickly pulled from the bed and placed stable on my feet while numerous women rushed into my room.

"Huh? What's going on?" Liz carried her new baby on one hip, Snow crawled around the floor by a tub full of steaming water, and Ashley and Lucile were undoing the buttons of my nightgown and making the bed.

I had barely adjusted my eyes to the light when a thought made my chest nearly stop and an anger seep into my veins.

"He told everybody..." I realized it quickly and my feelings felt hurt because of it.

I had no more than agreed to anything before Billie went and made up my mind for me, then told everyone about his plans. Damn it, I loved him, but I wasn't sure this is what I wanted.

I found Ashley staring at me and a look registered between us. She quietly shooed everyone from the room and closed the door behind them.

I sat on the bed feeling drained and cried into my hands.

"Why don't you get into the bath? It'll make you feel better" I said nothing but slipped into the water and let the tears fall into the water.

"Now, stop that. Billie loves you, he'll take care of you and treat you right"

"The only thing Billie is thinking about right now is me bearing him a son. He only wants to take me to bed, and then he'll forget about me nine months later"

She was silent for a moment before letting the hot water fall over my head as she began to wash my hair.

"I know you're scared...and that maybe you aren't ready, but I know exactly how you two feel about each other, and I know for a fact that when you're in your dress standing in front of him, you're thoughts will change"

I didn't reply right away, just wiped the bubbles from my eyes and stated:

"You wouldn't understand...your wedding day was a dream, an honor"

Her hands stopped their motions and she laughed.

"Well it was anything but that. I think I wanted to jump off a cliff that day. I hated him, thought Mike was the reason my life was so horrible and blamed him for everything...I just had to learn to love him"

"It still isn't fair! I want you to march right down there and tell Billie that I don't want to get married!"

"And what good would that do? He's already had the rings made early this morning. Come on, let's get you out of here and get your hair done. The maids spent all night sewing your dress, it wouldn't be very respectful not to use it"

I sat in a chair for hours listening to Ashley's stories of love, marriage, and life altogether until I was certain that she was running out of distractions to make for me.

I thought of what it would be like to find myself standing before Billie in my gown, and then afterwards laying under him without it. I shook my head.

I wouldn't give him the satisfaction, and he would know it. Tonight, I'd show him exactly which bed I preferred him in. The one farthest from mine.

"I'm not sure if i should let you go out there after all, you seem to be running over plans of how to murder your spouse"

"He's lucky I don't go down there and throttle him"

"After I finish your hair"

Billie

"Can you tell me how married life is?" I asked as I shoved the cool rings in my pocket and stared across at Mike.

Snow was standing on his shoulder and already the size of a two year old as she pulled on his hair.

"Back out while you can and avoid having children"

I felt pride tighten my chest.

"Not a chance. Unlike you, I get to take a virgin to my wedding bed" His eyes narrowed and I felt instant regret of what I had said. I apologized quickly and he rolled his eyes.

"I hope you get thrown out on your wedding night, especially with that attitude. I hope she makes you sleep somewhere else, or either wises up and says "I don't" instead of I do"

Mike quickly got up and left the table, wrapping an arm around Ashley as she came out of the bedroom. He kissed her firmly on the mouth, passed her their child and stalker the rest of the way down the hall.

Something hurt inside my chest, and although I knew this was what I wanted, I was scared. Was this was Lenore wanted, too?

Lenore

The bottle of whiskey that Billie had left unopened on the night stand the night before was now resting in my sweaty palm, its contents sloshing back and forth well under the halfway mark. My throat burned, but my mind felt warm and numb.

Before I could lift the bottle to my lips for another drink, the door opened and Lucile came rushing in with a white dress.

"Oh no, no, this won't do. Hammered on your wedding day...this will go down in the history books for sure. Now then, stand on your feet and let me dress you"

The bottle was taken for me and I hiccupped as the dress was put on me. The room was spinning, she was saying my name far away. I smiled.

Billie took hold of my hands two hours later and stared into my eyes. His hands were sweating and I could barely feel mine.

A man spoke next to us and I could feel tears rolling down my cheeks.

"I don't want to get married, Billie..." He shushed me softly and gave a gentle smile, patting my hands.

Looks registered through the people gathered, whispers and giggles followed.

"She's sloshed"

"What a honeymoon this will be"

More tears fell as the grouping was shushed and their whispers registered through my hazy mind. They were laughing at me. I've made a fool of myself.

"Do you take this woman to be your wife?"

Billie didn't hesitate a moment before saying "I do".

I cried when the man looked at me.

"Do you take this man to be your husband?"

The tears ceased. Billie, my husband. I couldn't have thought of anything more pleasant, nothing that I wanted more.

I flung myself into his arms and hugged him tightly. My feet weren't on the ground.

"I do, you handsome bastard"

Billie stiffened and then vibrated with laughter. A ring was slipped on my finger, I threw my flowers behind me, and Ashley patted my shoulder.

"Remind me not to leave you unattended with a bottle of alcohol"