Chapter two

"People will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou

I woke up to my alarm ringing. I jumped out of bed faster than I ever had before. I threw on my bikini and threw my hair into a braid. I wore a tanktop and shorts over it. When I went down into the kitchen, I was surprised to find Auntie Kay making breakfast for me. She tossed two pancakes on a plate and handed it to me.

"Good morning Sweetie. Are you excited?"

"More than I can explain," I say with a mouthful of pancake. A small smile crept across her face.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you like him," she said with a taunting tone in her voice. I felt my cheeks and ears get really hot. She laughed.

"I don't like him, it's just been awhile since I've been able to hang out with a friend," I say. The smile fades from her face. I heard a horn honking in the distance.

"Oh my God, it's him!" I squeal as I grab my stuff. I'm halfway out the door when Auntie Kay yells, "No funny business!", I roll my eyes. I grab my surfboard and run up to his truck. He steps out and meets me at the back. advantage

"Morning! Is Leo coming?"
"No, he didn't want to wake up so early. He seemed more than happy to threaten to kick your butt if anything happens though."

"Well what would I possibly do to hurt you?"

"Well Florida is the number one sharkbite capital in the world, so I think it wasn't a matter of what you would do, but rather what you wouldn't be able to stop," I said as I lifted the board into the back of his truck. He laughed.

"Hey, don't worry about sharks. I've surfed here my whole life and I've never even seen one. Now get in, we're already running late," he said, patting me on my shoulder.

We rode in silence. I hate sitting in silence, so I tried to break the ice.

"What's a rich person like you doing with a pickup truck?" I asked.

"Funny story, my Dad said the same thing. I like to surf and this is how I transport my gear. My Dad disagrees with my hobby, but I don't care."

"Huh, that's pretty cool actually. It's nice to know that you're not like most rich people I know," I said.

"Well what were they like?"

"Snobs. They felt they were above everyone else. They always made fun of me and Leo, and as you can guess, we grew to not like rich people, not just because of them but because of personal reasons as well. It's nice to see not all rich people are horrible," I look away. He places a hand on my knee and gave me a comforting look.

"I'll never do anything to hurt you, and the first person to lay a finger on you, I'll personally kill them. I promise. Alright?" he said. His eyebrows were furrowed and his eyes were warm. I felt myself blushing.

"Thanks," I mumbled.

"No need to thank me. Anyway, we are almost there. How much experience do you have?"

"None. What about you?"

"I have about eleven years of experience."

"How old are you?" I asked.

"I am seventeen, just turned about two months ago. How old are you?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

"I'm fifteen. My birthday was about four months ago. Where are we going?"

"Ah, changing the subject. Delray Beach, and here we are," he said as we rounded the corner. He parked his truck and we pulled our boards out and he lead me to clearing on the beach. The sun was just beginning to rise, and the sound of the waves crashing was soothing. It was a beautiful day. I turn around and see Caleb staring at me.