Chapter five

"Something you need most might be something you turn away from, something you turn away from might be something you regret, and something you regret, in the end, might cost you the one chance you ever had." Brian Judge

When I woke up, his arms were wrapped around me again. It took me a minute to realize he was stroking my hair. I rolled over and looked at him. He had deep bags under his eyes. He must not have slept well.

"How'd you sleep Princess?" he asked. My heart seemed to flutter when he spoke. He spoke softly and quietly.

"Good. What about you?"

"Not that well," he mumbled. His hand made its way to my cheek.

"Why not?"

"That guy, he was your father's friend. He's hurt you before hasn't he?" he asked. His eyes were sad. His thumb ran over my cheek bone.

"Please, Kevin, I'd rather not talk about the things that happen to me. I can take care of myself," I whispered. He gave me a weak smile.

"I know you can Princess, I still can't stop worrying," he said. He kissed me gently and playfully; little pecks on my cheeks and forehead. Then he kissed me. This, was undoubtedly the happiest I've ever been. Like all good things however, it ended far too soon. When we drove to my house so I could grab more clothes, my father's car was in the driveway. I gripped Kevin's arm. It had been so long since I've been hurt.

"Turn around," I uttered. He turned around instantly. He grasped the steering wheel so tight his knuckles were turning white. We drove to Kevin's spot, he didn't speak the whole time.

"Rain, I can't let you go back to him," he said after a while.

"Kevin, I have to go back. If I don't, it will only be worse. He won't just hurt me, he'll hurt you and your family. Trust me, there isn't anything he can do that he hasn't done before," I said, trying to reassure him. I could tell by the look in his eyes that he could think of plenty of things, but he didn't say them. Besides, the only thing he has left is to kill me, and I don't think he'd do that. He was torn. He didn't want me to get hurt, but either way it was going to happen. He pursed his lips in defeat.

"Promise me you'll either text or call everyday."

"I promise. I can't guarantee that it'll always be at the same time, but I'll do my best."

"Also, call me the minute it gets really bad," he added. I wanted so bad to hide in his arms and tell him everything, but I couldn't. If I did that he'd see me differently, and I didn't want that.

"I promise," I said. He nodded his head. We decided to skip school today and to spend all day talking to each other. All too soon, it was time for me to go home. When I got there, Melissa had a black eye.

"Well, well, well, looks like the slut decided to come home," she sneered. I was so angry, I didn't even think about what was coming out of my mouth.

"I never knew you left," I retorted. Her sneer disappeared quickly, and I basked in the glory of the moment. She smacked me, and I knew I had lost. I heard footsteps going down the stairs. Father looked me over, then demanded I get him a beer. I did as he asked. I then had to cook dinner. I wasn't allowed to eat. People often say that routine is a friend, but for me it is an enemy. I was hiding in my room, praying that nothing was going to happen to me tonight. My door was kicked open, and three men walked into my room. They had a hungry gleam in their eyes. They laughed an evil laugh. I heard the click of the lock behind them.

"Please, leave me alone!" I sobbed, tears running down my face. The one in the middle, who looked the nicest, walked up to me, and pulled me off the ground. His grip was hard. I could feel my skin already bruising. I whimpered in fear. He gagged me and tied my hands together. I kept shaking my head, begging them to stop. They won't. No one ever does. He undressed me. I tried to hide my body as much as I could, but he hit me. He hit me until I wouldn't hide my body.