Chapter three

"The marks humans leave are too often scars." John Green

We went to school for the next few weeks and tried to be normal. We've let our guard down, but that was our mistake. It has now been three weeks since we spotted out father. It was almost Thanksgiving. When Leo and I went to the pick up area, my heart stopped. Every bone in my body screamed at me to run; my knees shook, my stomach dropped, my eyes filled with tears. Our father was standing there, waving and smiling at us like a normal person. We both knew our father was far from normal. He walked up to us in his expensive Italian suit. He gave us a smile to reveal his pearly whites.

"My gorgeous children! Long time, no see," he sad. He tried to hug me and Leo placed me behind him. My father put on and offended look. "Am I not allowed to hug my own children?" he asked.

"After all the pain and suffering you put through? After all the scars and bruises you gave us? After not loving us all our lives? After taking away our mother? No, you can't," Leo growled. My father sowled.

"GET. IN. THE. CAR. We have to pay your aunt a little visit," he whispered devilishly. That tone of voice was one I was all too familiar with. That meant Leo was in for it. Slowly, we climbed into the back of his car. I was trembling. Leo held on to me to comfort me. I knew he was doing everything in his power to not tremble; that he was being strong for me. The truth was, in times like this, we had to be strong for each other; no matter how difficult. He pulled up to my aunts house as she was leaving the driveway. He stopped the car and we got out. She rolled down her window, her face pale.

"Hello Katherine."

"John," she replied coldly. Her voice was like ice. He pulled a piece of paper from his pocket. He handed it to her.

"This house belongs to me."

"No it belongs to me and I have the deed to prove it!"

"Actually, the house belonged to Katrina, and when she died it went to me. Lucky for you, I bought you a small apartment," he said. He leaned in and whispered something to her. Her eyes went wide and she drove away. My father was a very wealthy, yet, corrupt businessman. He has ties to gang leaders and hitmen. He has some corrupt officers and detectives. He is very smart.

"Inside. Now," he commanded. Leo and I ran inside ad went to our rooms. I took all of my makeup and hid it inside my mattress. I hid the cut with my sheets. I heard yelling and screaming. My father had gotten to Leo. I waited until I heard the shower running, and then I sprinted into Leo's room. He was leaning against the side of his bed. His eye was swollen, lip was busted, and he had blood running from his nose. He was breathing heavily. I ran to him and hugged him. We spoke in hushed voices.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, I've had worse. You need to go, he's getting out soon," Leo said as he pulled away. I sprinted out of his room. As I was running down the hall, the bathroom door opened. I stopped cold in my path and prayed that he would walk away. He turned and looked at me.

"What are you doing out of your room?" he asked. My mind raced desperately for an excuse.

"I was looking for another bathroom."

"Liar. You were in your brothers room weren't you?"

"So what if I was?" I asked. I was done with him. I let him hurt me and beat me down for too long. He walked up to me.

"Looks like you have already forgotten your manners," he said. I looked him straight in the eye. He shoved me and I fell down on my butt. Normally, he was careful not to bruise our faces, but I have a feeling he no longer cares. He kicked me in the sides repeatedly, and it took all that I had to not cry; to hold back the tears of pain and hurt. This man never loved me or my brother, and he most certainly didn't deserve our tears. When he finished, he commanded that I go cook him dinner. Whenever I had to cook for him, my brother and I often didn't eat, and he'd servay the kitchen to see if any food was missing. Before I started to cook, I hid some food for Leo. We had to look out for each other in times like this; I didn't have to eat. I served him his food, cleaned up my mess, and then went upstairs. My ribs were bruised and it was difficult to breath. I snuck into Leo's room, gave him his food, and then went to bed.