Four Years

I sit up and rub my eyes, my alarm clock beeping. Then it hits me. October ninth. I feel tears threatening, and try to push them back. My efforts are in vain. Tears stream down my face. I look at the little box on the top of my wardrobe. I walk past my spectral mirror, Sabrina on the way to the shelf. 

Sabrina appeared in the corner as I walked past. She looks about 15 appears wearing a teal strapless dress. "No way Ivy! You said you weren't gonna do it ever again!" Sabrina exclaimed.

I look at her, consider, and nod. I slump onto my bed. "I'll be back for you soon? Four years isn't soon!" I say.

"Let's just get you ready for the day. Go wash your hair," She smiles at me. Sabrina may be a piece of technology, but she is still the only friend I have. I nod again and go to take a shower.

Five minutes later, I stop the water and drape a towel around myself. I walk to my closet and change into my Foxfire uniform. I grab my cloak, then look at my three pins. The song pin, a lark with an open beak and spread wings, and the Nightlander pin, my mother's pin, a wolf howling at the moon, and my personal pin. This is the pin I have been using for three years. For the first year of being a Song, I truly believed my Mother was coming, so I wore her pin, but she didn't. Then I made my own pin, and now I use that, even though every day I tell myself maybe, just maybe I'll wear the Song pin. I never do. My pin has a black cat, jumping across its surface, over a glacier, to show my ability, Froster.

I slide my pin into the cloth and look at the mirror. "See you after another day of torture," I say to Sabrina, and then I'm out the bedroom door, ready for my first interaction with Mr. and Mrs. Song for the day.