Eleven.

September 2nd, 1945. The day the Second World War ended.

Elizabeth remembered where she was when she heard it on the radio and when she heard the cheers and saw the look of elation on people's faces, she hoped she'd never forget that.

It had all come to an end two weeks ago and still, the whole world seemed as if it was rejoicing, which of course, it was. 

The sun was casting gold rays through the window of Elizabeth's parents' house, where she was sat on the couch, a book in her hand and an almost empty cup of tea on the table beside her. 

The last letter she had received from either Alex or Tommy was a couple of days after the announcement, both letters saying that they were waiting to board a ship back to Britain.

So really, all she could do was wait. 

Elizabeth had also kept in touch with Peter Dawson, the son of the man who had rescued them and she was glad to say that over the years, she could call him a friend. He was one of the few who understood what she and the others had gone through. She had even gone down to visit him and the pair paid a visit to George's grave. 

She looked up from her book when there was a loud knock on the front door, placing it down on the table by her mug as her younger sister came tearing down the stairs, yelling that it was probably her friend.

So after downing the last of her tea, Elizabeth stood and headed through to the kitchen to wash it out, eyebrows furrowing when she heard her sister calling her name. 

"Yes?" she asked, popping her head around the door, her eyes widening when she saw who was standing on their front doorstep. 

Alex.

He looked positively exhausted; bags under his eyes and shoulders drooped as he stared at her sister but when he looked at her, she swore she saw them light up and instead of the army uniform she last saw him in, he was dressed in a lovely dark suit. 

"Alex?" she breathed, "What...oh my gosh!" 

Before he could reply, she was letting out a high pitched squeal and was crossing the small space between them, throwing her arms around his neck tightly, "I can't believe you're here! You never said you were coming." 

"That would kinda ruin the whole surprise thing I had going on," he murmurs, pulling away to smooth her hair back from her face, "Now lemme get a look at yeh. 've only had your picture to keep me going." 

She beamed up at him, making him sigh and wrap her up in his arms again, "Yep. Much better than any photograph." 

He held her tightly until there was a clearing of a throat behind them, Elizabeth's sister staring at the two of them, "Aren't you going to introduce us?" 

"Oh," she breathed, unable to wipe the grin off her face and she cleared her throat, "Right. Alex, this is my little sister Bethany." 

"She hasn't shut up about you," the young girl said, rolling her eyes as she headed for the stairs again, "It's been quite worrying actually." 

"Beth!" Elizabeth shrieked, lowering her voice again when she looked at Alex, "No I haven't. Barely eve-" She was startled when he slid his hands into her hair, pressing his lips firmly against hers when they were alone and her hands moved to grip his wrists, letting out a quiet oh when he pulled away, "What was that for?"

He opened his mouth to reply but was cut off by the front door opening again from behind them and Elizabeth smiled sheepishly, "How would you feel about meeting my parents?" 

+++++

All through the evening, Elizabeth's family made Alex feel more than welcome. Her dad shook his hand, thanking him for everything he had done for the country and her mum had hugged him tightly, saying thank you every couple of minutes for bringing her daughter back to them. 

It was after dinner that the two of them finally got a chance to talk properly, taking a walk around the quiet town where and Alex listened intently as she told him stories about growing up in it.

It was when they got to the park, he pulled her to a stop. 

"It's strange," he mumbled, running a hand through his hair, "We've been back almost a week now and I..."

"What?" Elizabeth asked, taking his hands. 

"I keep expecting to be shot at. Have a bomb dropped on me or something. It's all so quiet," he looked around, shaking his head bitterly, "I don't-"

"Alex," she whispered, rubbing his shoulder when she saw the tears welling up in his eyes. 

"There were so many people," he choked, "So many friends that I saw die." 

"Oh Alex," she cooed, bringing his head down to her shoulder, where he broke down and she shushed him while running her hands through his hair, nails gently scraping across his scalp. 

"I don't know how I survived." 

Elizabeth kissed the side of his head gently, feeling tears threatening to burn her own eyes, "I'm glad you did. Means I can give you these." 

He watched her as she lifted something from around her neck, recognising his tags immediately, which he grasped tightly in his hands, "You kept them?" 

"I never took them off," she admitted sheepishly, crossing her arms over her chest, "I felt like if I took them off, something would happen to you." 

He gave her a weak smile and wrapped his arms around her again, unable to get enough of the warm, comforting feeling that he got whenever he did and he whispered in her ear, "Getting back to you and my mum was all that got me through it." 

"You're here now," she whispered, kissing his knuckles, "You're safe, you are home." 

"I want you to meet my mum," Alex said suddenly, "I want you to come back with me and meet her. Wanna let her get to know the girl I kept harping on about in letters." 

Elizabeth smiled, "Tell me about her." 

And so she listened as he launched into stories about his mum, watching the way his eyes lit up when he spoke about her; as if she was the most important person in the world and she couldn't quite believe that this was the same young man she met back on the beach. 

She wouldn't forget Dunkirk. And what she had gone through during her time there, she wouldn't wish it on her worst enemy but looking up at Alex now and thinking about Tommy and Peter,  she knew that it had to have happened to her for a reason. 

Maybe that reason was Alex.

+++++

so the ending was a little iffy but i finally managed to write something i was somewhat happy with. i hope you liked this wee story :)