Chapter 5: Change change.

The visions never resurfaced again. Which is a good thing.

The parade is today. Which sucks a lot.

I was running late, and running literally towards the staff tent. Tiffany welcomed me with a scowl and crossed arms. She's wearing the white staff shirt with a huge print of "CITY PARADE: AMY". Her stink eye's on to the hundredth level. I almost passed her but she grabbed my elbow with her perfect manicured pink nailed hands. It kind of hurt. I stumbled back a bit too. Tiffany huffed, "I know you don't want to do this and you've been through stuff. I could have been in your place but I don't know what you have and they won't let you go. The organization's counting on you. I planned this parade to the best I can, so could you please get a grip? Just today?"

"I know", I wanted to say to her. But I couldn't, 'cause she'll be rubbing it to my face days later. Tiffany's a bitch. Just with class and sense of responsibility. That doesn't make her likable though.

I saw Jess waving over the tent so I just nodded slightly at Tiffany and made my way to the tent. "Where were you? Get inside and get dressed!" My best friend pushed me inside the tent and hollered inside "Lia! Get your hands on Ree!" before going out and probably handling the last-touch of decorations outside.

I felt awkward and out of place standing alone while all of the people seemed hurried and busy. All are wearing their staff shirts and costumes. The band girls just finished their make-up which is rather unfortunate because their sweat will wash all of the colors on their faces. People walk back and forth, doing their jobs while I slightly gape at them, not knowing what to do with myself.

"Reena! There you are! C'mon, let's get you in your gown now!" Lia said while pulling me towards the throng of people doing important things until we get into rows and rows of hanging clothes. This tent's bigger than I have expected. Lia, the assigned head stylist for the parade kept in looking for the gown I'm supposed to wear. I never got to go to the dress rehearsal so they never got to know what would fit me. But Lia has great eyes and style. I actually really like how she dresses, her aura of confidence would make you trust her in choosing your clothes. Which is what she's doing now. Her forehead made a little frown while looking through the vast choices of clothes. From sparkling red mermaid drees, glittery gold maxi to velvety blue empire dress. What seemed to catch her trained style eye was the deep black (can black be deep though?) princess gown. It was a tube with tie-strings like a corset at the back. Flowy and heavy, the gown seemed to be so smooth, without any wrinkle nor a shine. "This. This would be perfect! Like... like Amy emerged from the ashes!"

I was a little wary of the gown first, and it showed on my face because Lia rolled her eyes at me and pushed me inside the makeshift dressing room. I am being pushed a lot today.

It was kind of hard to fit inside the gown, given only a small space to change clothes. But with much effort, and a little help from Lia tying the strings at the back, I managed to finally wear the freaking gown.

I shyly went out of the dressing room. Directly in front of it was a full body mirror; there I saw myself. It was kind of  riveting, seeing myself like this. It was also kind of creepy too, because somehow, I can see Amy, the woman we are celebrating, the woman who stood fiercely from the ashes, the woman I saw once in the city hall where a painted portrait of her is hanged.

"Ree, sit down. I'll doll you up now."

I was suddenly brought back into reality when Lia, once again pushed me. This time, onto a chair in front mirror. She went away to get her tools, I think.

She came back with an armful of bulky pouches and a little cart full of beauty tools, her brown bob hair swaying a little. She set it down on the table in front of me and I gagged a little. All of this will be put on my face? My goodness. Just like the dresses earlier, the make-ups were too colorful and glittery much to my disliking.

"Alright! Let's get started!" Her brown eyes glinting with excitement.

I shivered. I think this is scarier than meeting a murderer.

---

It felt like hours and my face and hair feel so heavy. In reality though, only 30 minutes have passed. Lia did a good job with a minimum time to work on. She did a little glittery smokey eye effect which kind of emphasises my eyes and put dark brown lipstick on me. My hair is in an elegant half-bun, the other half are curled a little making a wavy effect. It looked good if I must say.

Lia left a minute ago to tend to someone else. She told me to sit still and let my hair set or whatever. I didn't really understand. While waiting, I noticed a girl standing near the tent's door. I could see her from the reflection of the mirror slightly fidgeting. I turned around to see her, she jumped a little when she saw me looking at her. "Is there anything you need?" I asked her.

"I... uh...do... do you mind if I sit with you?"

I shook my head so she walked towards me and sat down beside me. "Hi." she said. "Hey." I greeted her back.

It was awkward. I don't know her name, but her face is familiar. Sometimes I can see her walking down the hallways of our school.

"It's just..." she started. "I found out that you... you know..."

I tilted my head to the right, confusion written on my face. "I what?"

She breathed heavily, forming her courage to tell me what I did. "You saved Michelle. I mean you attempted to but tragedy happened."

Oh. That.

Before I spoke to ask her what is the relevance of that incident to her, she began telling her story.

"Michelle was a friend of mine. It was  very short friendship. I met her when her family moved here few weeks before her death. I usually sit by the empty house that they apparently rented. I sit there to unwind, write few poems, express myself you know? Then one day, everything felt so y'know? A little glum. Family problems and all. So I went to my usual spot, staring at nothing. She noticed me, she sat down beside me. We talked, we became friends! Then one day, she gave me this heirloom pen. She said it was her grandmother's. She told me to keep it. I said no, because it seemed important, but she insisted. So I accepted it. Then Michelle told me to use it when the time comes that I need to reveal a secret that could change a life of someone. I told her she's weird, she only laughed at me. I never got to use the fountain pen and now she's dead! I just... I just want to talk to somebody who knows her. I just miss her, she has been a valuable friend."  As she talks, her voice rise a little higher.

I was speechless. There's someone who knows her, probably not knowing her marital abuse. How can I tell her that? How am I supposed to talk to her about Michelle when I should know nothing about her but I know so much I might burst out and just tell somebody?

"I brought the pen though."

When the pen entered my line of sight, my breath hitched. I felt a pull. I need to get that pen. I scratched my palm secretly, sweat starts to break out of me. I need that pen.

I need to get that pen in my hands.

D*mn Ree, why don't you reconsider the therapies for you?