Devlin

I couldn't believe that this all was happening. I cheated death and skipped to a town I've never heard of before. About 3 hours went by and I heard the lady over the speaker say "Now arriving at Eisenhower Station". Time to go. I stepped off the train at the station and looked for the woman who, according to the letter, was wearing a black dress and bonnet.

As I was walking, I checked every bench for the woman, but couldn't find her. I checked the lines for the trains coming and still didn't see her. I kept saying "Come on. Where the hell are you?". I finally found her after spotting a bonnet near a table.

She had her back turned to me and was reading a magazine. I walked over to her table casually and put my foot up on the chair like I was tying my shoe. "Were you followed?" She spoke softly. I looked from the direction I came from. "Uh. I don't think so" I replied.

She put the magazine down and said "I'm Stella Cox. Assistant for Alfonso.". She had long, blonde, and parted hair and blue eyes. I took my foot of the chair.

"Hey there. I'm Mar-"
"I know who you are kid."
"Well why the hell am I here? And who's Alfonso Fra-"
She covered her hand with my mouth quickly demanded "Don't!"

My eyes were wide open as her hand was still over my mouth and she was looking around and watched 2 cops pass by. She took her hand off my mouth and said "I'm taking you to meet him at a bar nearby. I'll answer your questions in the car. Let's go". Me and her walked out the station and to her car. It was a limo!

Holy shit! I've never been in a limo before! I got in with her and she let the chauffeur, who was name Dale, drive us. She took off her bonnet and fixed her hair. "Just saying, I was only wearing that so you could find me" she explained.

We then talked more.

"So why am I here?"
"Alfonso Fratelli has summoned you."
"Yeah I know that, but why?"
"He finds you useful."
"How does he kn-"
"Let's just say he kept a watchful eye on you while you were in Empire Bay."
"Why should I work for him?"
"We saved your ass from getting arrested. Least you could do is do some work for him kid."

After 5 minutes, we arrived at a bar called "The Bowery". It was a nice fancy bar. I followed her up the steps to the third floor and over to a table where a man with black combed hair, brown eyes, and a cheek scar was sitting. He had on a black suit and scarlet tie. Stella sat down beside him and I sat across from them.

"Good work Stella." He said. His voice was deep and unforgiving. A hint of Italian was in it as well. I said "Hey Mr. Fratelli. I'm that guy you summoned. Marty Santorelli.". He stirred his drink slowly and said "Indeed you are kid. Indeed you are.".

Stella handed him a folder and he opened it as the waiter came by. "Order sir?" He asked. "Coffee please" I replied and Stella said "Brandy on the rocks". He wrote it down on his paper and walked off. Alfonso flipped through some papers in the folder he was handed.

He spoke while looking at them. "Your name is Martin Santorelli. You were born in Empire Bay in 1933, You're 18 years old.". What the fuck? What kinda papers did he have? It felt like he was reading a biography about me.

He went on.

"You're a cab driver and...oh. It appears you've gotten into some illegal work with a man called Joe Barbaro. A friend of yours?"
"How the hell do you know all this?"
"I'm a very powerful man. I have my sources."

I didn't understand. If he "kept an eye on me", how did he do it?

"May I ask you something Martin? What's something you've never had while living in Empire Bay?"
I thought for a moment.
"Well I guess I never got to be the leader on certain jobs I did with Joe."
"Ah. Well if you work for me, I'll make sure you're the boss of your own jobs. Anything else you never had?"

Stella wrote in her folder. "I need to know something Mr. Fratelli. What exactly do you want with me?". He smiled to himself. "I wanna make myself known here Martin. I wanna rule Devlin. Forget Clemente, forget Joe, forget Falcone, forget Empire Bay. If you work for me, we'll rule this city together. You'll have everything you've never had before Martin. Whores, cars, the nightlife, money, everything. Think about it."

I sat there thinking about all what he said very carefully. Ruling a big city, getting everything I've never had, and living what was on the big screen. I could do it all. Stella interrupted me thinking and said "Kid if you need to think about this it's perfectly fine". "Mrs Cox, I don't have anywhere to stay here" I said.

Alfonso said "Oh that's right. You don't. How would you like to stay at "Poseidon Hotel then?". My jaw dropped. "Poseidon hotel?! That's a 5 star hotel!". He smirked. "I'll give you some cash for some more decent clothes and I can give you cash for a room there. If you work for me, you can save up some money to get a nice house here. You have your answer yet Martin?.
"Yes sir."
"Watcha say, kid?"
I smiled slowly. "Mr. Fratelli, sign me up.".