forty-seven | more sand

When three little girls and one boy decide they want to go to the beach, even though their "Aunt Jena" is leaving for home in just a few hours, there's no one who will deny them that request

When three little girls and one boy decide they want to go to the beach, even though their "Aunt Jena" is leaving for home in just a few hours, there's no one who will deny them that request. Not even Reyna, who isn't exactly ready to say goodbye to her mom. So here they are, all loading up into the car, towels and coolers and beach toys getting shoved into the trunk of Liam Mason's car. And she doesn't even fight Cody when he holds his hands out for the keys, simply placing them in his open palm. And they filled the car with a Disney soundtrack, per Averi's request. Before she knows it, there's a hand placed on her bare thigh and she looks down, grinning and placing her hand on top of it, gently caressing his hand.

"I love you," she says softly, loud enough for him to hear but no one else.

"I love you, too," he says, sending her a grin.

"Eyes on the road!" Keegan calls from the farthest back seat, smirking at his sister and her boyfriend. "Even though you guys are cute as heck."

"So glad it's him and not Reese in the car with us. The girls' ears would be assaulted by his language and screeching," Cody admits, his gaze already back on the road. "He's a little psycho Reydy shipper."

"Reese Maxwell is a blessing to this world, don't disrespect him like that," Reyna says, quirking an eyebrow at him. For a second, he takes her seriously, but then she lets out a laugh and he can't help but join her. "I can't believe you actually thought I was being real. Disrespect him all you want. But he is kinda a blessing."

"Ree is nice!" Abi says, a smile lighting up her face as Reyna turns to look at her little sister. "I miss him."

"Me, too!" Averi exclaims, an adorable smile spreading as she thinks of the blue eyed boy. "We Skype him tonight?"

"Sure," the eldest Mason sister says, a slight giggle escaping her mouth. "He'll probably hide in the school bathroom to talk to us if he has to."

"Oh please," Cody laughs. "He'll talk to us in front of all his classmates. He had no shame."

The rest of the ride is spent joking and talking about Reese, as well as the cats that the couple had left back in California with him. An easy smile covered Reyna's face, her thigh being squeezed by Cody every so often. Eventually, they reach the beach and all the kids file out of car, racing for the sand and the water as soon as the car is parked. The couple watched them bemusedly, grabbing towels and all the towels and the toys, as well as a cooler with snacks and drinks for all six of them.

"This is nice," she says to Cody as they relax on the towels they spread out, watching the kids playing.

"Yeah," he agrees, pressing a kiss to her shoulder, her back pressed against his chest.

And so, for the next hour or so, the kids run around and play. They splash in the water, build sand castles, and bury Abi in the sand. Eventually, they convince Reyna to join them in the water, so she strips down to her bikini and tucks Ameri under her arm, racing out into the water. Cody stays on the shore with Keegan, who actually opens up to and talks to the older boy, telling him how scared he is to lose Averi and how much he genuinely loves all four of his sisters. And so Cody gives him advice and comforts him, then gets up and throws him over his shoulder, carrying him out into the ocean too. There's squeals and laughter from the four young kids before the elder two decide it's time to get out of the water, eat some snacks, and reapply sunscreen.