Chapter One

Silently, the woman carried Chara out of the throne room with an unreadable expression.

Chara was scared, the woman having the ability to crush Chara in her arms should she find necessary.
But Chara was grateful.

They didn't bother Toriel, laying limp as they dangled with their face looking to the ground. They slowly made backwards process away from the barrier.

The two reached the elevator, with Chara nearly half asleep.
Toriel walked inside of the elevator, and waited for the door to close, before she set Chara down gently, kneeling down,
"Oh, goodness. Are you okay? Are you hurt?" Toriel wondered, observing Chara, before sighing,
"It's only minor... Sans' magic isnt that strong, but you're probably very shaken..
Here— let me heal you." Toriel reassured, a light green magic burning in her animalish palms.
She brought the magic to Chara's bleeding head, the open wound fading to a mere bruise.

Chara was silent, before they hugged Toriel tightly,
"Th-thank you, miss.." They thanked, embracing Toriel.

Toriel was silent, her red tinted eyes going wide.
The embrace was possibly the first genuine hug she had had for a few years.
Her hateful husband,
Her stubborn son..
This child was perhaps a ray of sunshine in a land of darkness.

"It's okay, human. You've gone through a lot. There is a simple request I have, though." Toriel added, deciding to get this out of the way.

Chara nodded, pulling away,
"I'll do anything, miss." They said hurriedly, stumbling over their words.

"You know as well as I that the creatures down here are cold blooded and harsh.
But, I have hope that my child could be like you.
You see — you haven't hurt a single person this whole time.

My husband is a violent man — and I, a violent woman.
However, it was the responsibility of a child that made me a bit more sympathetic. Seeing that child smile, be happy — to not want that child to ever be upset again. That is what made me a kinder woman.

I feel that, should my son have someone in his responsibility, he might grow away from the people around him, and perhaps he could learn to love," Toriel explained, pressing the elevator button.
"As such, my son will be who will be taking care of you. You are his responsibility." She continued,

The elevator started going down.

Chara frowned, and thought —
"So, I'm going to be your son's pet?" They asked.

Toriel cringed at the idea,
"Down here, a human would be seen as a prize. I wouldn't be surprised if you would need to be accustomed to foul treatment or maybe a lead of some sort,
But not a 'pet'." She said.

Chara nodded,
"Oh. Okay." They murmured.

Even then — it was better than death.
Chara was silent as they felt Toriel take their wrists and put them in rather lame looking handcuffs, attached to a small chain that Toriel held.

"We will take these off when we get to my house." Toriel said simply, the elevator door opened.
It seemed as if any care and sympathy in Toriel died, as she had looked bitter and hateful when they stepped out.

Chara looked to the ground, following Toriel as she dragged Chara by the wrists.
They could feel harsh stares, they could feel the scowls of monsters that Chara had passed and spared mere hours earlier. Hotlands was bitterly hot, the atmosphere was grim, and Chara could feel sweat beading on their body.

Toriel, however, managed to keep a straight face.
It wasn't until a very pushy monster, arrogant enough to stand up to 'The Sorceress', as Toriel was formerly known as, that her expression changed to a violent glare.

A snake monster with rather sharp fangs and two arms, that looked capable of killing Chara with a single blow, had appeared and approached Toriel.
In a deep, hissing voice, the creature challenged,
"So; you brought that cowardly human back? What for? If it's for the opportunity to kill them or sell them, then I'll gladly challenge you for the rights, or— you can hand them over and you won't get hurt," He threatened.

Toriel didn't even stutter,
"You are a foolish boy." Was all she said, as she used a strong shove to move him out of her way, and continuing.

Chara looked back, noting the horrible expression on the creature's face.
He was silent, before he practically lunged forward at Chara.
Chara's soul began to glow a light red, before hot fire burned above Chara and singed some of their choppy short hair.
The fire seemed to completely disintegrate the monster into dust, fine dust that coated Chara and Toriel's clothes and skin.

Chara blinked, and looked at the dust, before tears welled in their eyes.

The metal cuffs were getting unbearably hot, the whole situation was horrifying, and Chara couldn't seem to slow their heartbeat.
Tears started to stream down their face, but they followed Toriel as she began to walk away anyways.

Blood started to drop from Chara's wrists, the scalding metal cuffs began to cut and burn into Chara's skin.

Chara took shaky breaths, hot tears rolling down their face.

Toriel didn't look back. Soon enough, they had approached a bridge that connected Waterfall and Hotlands. Walking across it was easy enough, though Chara was a bit unnerved the entire time.
Magma bubbled below them, and the bridge swung with each step.

Unlike Hotlands, Waterfall was peaceful and cool. And, Toriel lived about a few minutes from the entrance.

After a short walk, they approached a dark, intimidating house.
It almost reminded Chara of a face.

Toriel walked towards the house, and opened the door, ushering Chara inside.
The home was dark, the lights a cool dim.

Toriel locked the door, and turned to Chara, unclipping the chains along their wrists, before grimacing,
Two bloodied and burnt rings etched into Chara's wrists from the scalding metal,
Dust matted over the open wounds.
"What — why didn't you tell me?" Toriel asked, sounding angry.

Chara shifted silently, before inhaling, gathering the strength required to speak up,
"I didn't want to bother you, ma'am. It isn't bad, it'll heal soon enough." They reassured.

"No, you are wrong. This will not heal. This will scar your body, and make you seem weak. We do not want that," Toriel said,
"It's a sign of weakness and vulnerability. Should you be taken outside with Asriel, it will put both you and my son at risk of attack. Asriel doesn't know magic yet, so he cannot protect or heal himself or you." She said.

Chara frowned,
"Oh, I-I'm Sor-"

"No! No, you aren't sorry. You say 'Yes' or 'Okay'. You will not show forgiveness." Toriel said.
"You were sweet before, and I understand that. I pity you, and I feel bad for what I must do, but you need to strengthen yourself if you are to survive." She practically ordered.
"You are here because I showed mercy. No one else will show you mercy, if you are attacked, you must scare your enemies away, and if all else fails, you must kill them," Toriel finished.

Chara looked at their hands,
"I thought I was going to help your son, not have to kill anyone.." They murmured.

Toriel sighed,
"Yes, but you are kindhearted. You must show him what it's like, but you also cannot go soft. To him, and him only must you be kind, but he is a violent child. You can only take it from him. Asriel will not kill you, I assure you. If you rebel against Asriel, that puts him in trouble, and that makes you fair game.
It's a lose-lose situation.

Humans are strong and capable. Your power could kill every monster in this land. You must prove that if you are to be threatened, then you will not be afraid to fight back." She said.
"What I am telling you must seem confusing, but you must understand this.
I need both you and Asriel to be safe, while Asriel still has to be in charge of you, and you must not draw too much attention to yourself. In the best scenario, I would like you to be able to blend with the monsters around here, and I would like you to be Asriel's companion to a sense."

Chara was silent, before they heard a door open and shut, and footsteps.

A foreign, boyish voice called
"Mom? What are you doing home?"