Prologue

"What do you mean you didn't get her?!"

"I-I'm sorry Sire. There was another one there that I didn't expect."

"Oh," King Hreidmar says quizzingly. "Another one you say?"

"Y-yes sire. Everything was going according to plan until we got into where it was sleeping." The Messenger says while shaking.

"How so?"

"Well, we got to the house and all was silent. But it wasn't until I got into the bedroom that I learned that the one we were trying to take had a twin."

"And what, pray tell, happened after that?" King Hreidmar asked steepling his hands and putting his chin on them.

"Well, he fought back," The Messenger said cringing at how it sounded out loud.

"It fought back," Hreidmar said his temper slowly rising.

"Y-Yes Sire," The Messenger says looking down ashamed.

"You're telling me. You tried switching out the Changeling for the real one but the twin stopped you?!" The King roars standing up and slamming his hands on his desk.

"Y-yes Sire," The Messenger stutters. "O-one more thing Sire."

"What is it?" King Hreidmar says now fuming.

"I, uh, I left the Changeling there Sire."

"WHAT?!" The King roars even louder than before.

"I - I – I'm sorry Sire it won't happen again I promise," The Messenger says quaking.

You're right. It won't," The King says rage laced in his voice like poison. "Guards! Take him to the dungeon."

"No! Sire Please! I can fix this. You don't have to do this," The Messenger pleads while two guards take his arms dragging him out of the room.

"Alberich?"

"Yes, Sire?"

"Summon my son for me."

"Of course, Sire," Alberich says.