Prologue

7 years prior

Bai Li POV

"BAI LI I'M COMING FOR YOU!" Yelled a young man with silver hair.
I giggled and pushed myself further into the broom closet I was hiding in, drawing my knees to my chest, squashing my button nose against them as I closed my eyes tightly .

Thump thump thump

My heart beat reverberating in my ear as I
prayed not to be found.

Thud thud thud

The footsteps stopped. No please no......... The closet door opened, flooding warm light into the crowded space.
"I found you,"said the youth,"now it is punishment time."

My eyes widened and I looked for and escape route. My young master picked me up and said,"here is your punishment." With that, he started tickling me. My head flew back as I
roared with laughter, tears filling my eyes.

Thud thud thud thud

The sound of an evil monster as it thundered towards the room we are in. I buried myself in the young man's body as my mother burst into the room.
"BAI LI!"she screamed as I hid myself in the robes of the man,"STOP THIS CHILDISH BEHAVIOUR AT ONCE. YOU ARE NOW TEN YEARS OF AGE AND ARE STILL PLAYING CHILDISHLY."

The young man could no longer contain his laughter. He rolled around on the floor, his contagious laughter filling the palace.
"Air!" I rasped as he pushed himself off me. I sat up immediately and wished I hadn't, for my mother was standing close to me and had her eyes closed. This was bad. The man had noticed too and his laughter quickly died down.

"YOUNG MASTER!" She yelled, " YOU SHOULDN'T ENCOURAGE HER. YOU ARE THE LORD OF THIS PALACE AFTER THE MASTER AND MISTRESS DIED AND YET YOU STILL FOOL AROUND!" It was my turn to smirk at him. Unfortunately my mother caught me and sent me a death glare.
"BOTH OF YOU GO BACK TO YOUR STUDIES OR ELSE!" She threatened. Fearing for my life, I sprinted down a maze of corridors and into the room where my music teacher sat. She wasn't one to care about well....anything and I had always enjoyed this lesson the most.

I knew how to play a variety of instruments such as the flute, guzheng, guqing and huobosi. As well as that I was well versed in literature and art was a favourite pastime of mine. Needless to say that I was brought up as a young lady not in the least a servant. Why you may ask was I so well educated it is because my Wei Zhang, the young master of this province was like my older brother. So, naturally I was treated as well royalty. However my mother never let me forget my place. She is the housekeeper and my father he was a passing traveller or so I had been told. All I know about him is that he had blue eyes like my very own. Calmly, I sat in front of my teacher and began to play.