4. The Deception Begins

What am I doing? I sat in a massive room with a guzheng and an old maid. How did I rnd up here, one second I was lying in the shade of a tree, the next I was deceiving the powerful father of a young miss I had met but hours ago. I shook my head and quietly plucked the delicate strings.

Twang

I winced at the sound of the heavily unused, untuned strings. The young miss really didn't play a lot. I pitied the poor instrument that was so neglected. I quietly tuned the instrument and plucked out a song. A beautiful happy song that used to fill my heart with light,for my young master had taught me this song when I had turned 10. So long ago.

A few weeks later
Today I felt reminiscent of my home because it was mother's birthday today and she must be missing me sorely. Plucking at the strings I started to sing in a soft voice a song I had written long ago for the soldiers who had fought for my young master. It told a tale of hardship and pain, suffering and death.

However, the notes underneath were joyful and high. These notes represented the hope that lies in every soldiers heart however little it is still there. That nagging voice telling us that we will be alright, that we will see our families once more. As I played the last notes I was made aware of the dark figure behind the paper screen that had started clapping. By their height and build I could tell that he was a man. I wonder who would have the authority to come and see the young miss of the Ling family.

It would not be one of the master's friends as the stranger was too young. If he came on official business he would have to be the emperor or one of the 4 people: the imperial generals. However Minister Ling works in a completely different sector to the 4 imperial generals so I could pretty much rule them out.
A tap on my shoulder brought me back to reality.

"Young Miss we must go back to the main house now." Said the old nursemaid-I had forgotten that she was here.

Slowly I trudged out of the music hall and into the ornate carriage in which I rode everyday to play the guzheng. I sat there- being slowly rocked by the bumps in the road- thinking about the mysterious figure. His identity is completely eluding me. Who is he?