❀ Chapter 3 ❀

"I promised I'd look out for you."

Sasuke Uchiha

• • • • •

"I still don't understand why you haven't just asked her out yet," she said, taking a sip of her caramel mocha.

Her white-haired friend gave a snort. "Have you even met this girl? She's not exactly the easiest person to talk to about these sort of things. She'd rather punch me till I dissolve into water than go out with me."

She gave a small laugh. "I suppose I can see what you mean there," she conceded. "But you've liked her since college, why not go for it? Maybe if you two spent some real time together, she'll start to see you a little differently too."

"Eh," he shrugged noncommittally, taking a sip from the straw of his drink. He looked around at the coffee shop they were currently at. It was a quaint little place by the roadside and opposite one of the town's larger parks. He and Karin had only arrived in Konoha the day before, but the trio had agreed to meet up for some much-needed coffee-and-catch-up — though they were one person short at the moment.

"It wouldn't matter much anyhow," he said, leaning back in his chair. "We're here for you, remember."

"Please don't use me as an excuse," she frowned. "You may have come to see me, but that doesn't mean you can't have some time for yourselves without me while you're here." Her expression softened. "Look, just ask her and see what happens; something casual like this — getting a coffee or lunch. I really can see you two together, you just need to get off your ass and do something about it," she finished with a taunting smile.

Suigetsu gave a resigned sigh. "Fineee, I guess I'll—"

"Ask her out?" Sakura finished for him. "Great! I'll be routing for the two of you," she said, a wide grin plastered on her face.

He only blinked at her for a few moments. "I really don't like you."

"You love me."

"Don't we all," came another voice.

The two turned to find their red-haired friend taking a seat at their table. "So, what did I miss?"

Suigetsu paled. "Uh...—"

"Nothing," Sakura cut in.

"Nothing at all," he added for good measure.

Karin looked between them, unconvinced. "You two are terrible liars, but whatever."

Sakura and Suigetsu shared a look.

"Oh well," he shrugged. "We tried."

"And failed," Karin added. "Miserably."

He rolled his eyes.

"Anyways," she said, turning to Sakura, an excited gleam in her eyes. "I really should fill you in on that medical course I'm taking. It's—"

"Oh boy, here we go," Suigetsu said, resting the side of his face in the palm of his hand.

"Shut up!" she growled.

"You mean the one with that weird Dr. Orochimaru guy and his creepy assistant?" Sakura asked.

"That would be Kabuto, and yes."

"Apparently, she likes cutting up dead people," Suigetsu added.

Sakura made a face.