❀ Chapter 4 ❀

"How about that one?"

Sakura ran her fingers over the fabric of the piece Karin pointed out. It was a pretty little cream-white sweatshirt. "It's cute."

She picked up the price tag and scoffed. "Okay, it's not that cute."

Karin came up beside her, brows furrowed. "What? It's exactly your style!" Her eyes then caught sight of the obnoxious numbers printed in bold on the tag. "Oh. Never mind then, it was too plain for you anyway," she said, throwing an arm around Sakura's shoulders.

The two laughed as Karin lead them away from the overpriced clothing and out of the store.

It was a pretty decent day, and the weather was actually very pleasant for late September — warm enough to get away with throwing on a light jacket without feeling too chilly.

The girls made their way over to an outdoor food court and towards a familiar head of white hair.

"I've been waiting for the two of you for an hour and a half," Suigetsu said, not at all pleased.

Karin snorted, taking one of Sui's fries. "Well, we did give you the option of coming with us, but you apparently wouldn't be caught dead doing 'girly' things like shopping," she said, popping the fry in her mouth. "So don't complain."

He gave her a straight face. "That was mine."

"You think I care?" As if to prove her point, she grabbed another three and threw them in her mouth, her eyes daring him to protest.

Sakura chuckled at her friends' silly antics. "Play nice, children."

She placed her bags down and took one of the empty seats beside Sui, Karin followed suit and took the one opposite him. Before they could settle down, however, a voice caught their attention.

"Well, well. Funny running into you here, Sakura."

Sakura knew that voice anywhere; it was one she likely wouldn't forget anytime soon. After leaving high school, she'd desperately hoped that she would never have to hear it again.

Turning to meet the source of the sound, her eyes were met with haughty aquamarine ones.

"Ino."

At the mention of the name, both Sui and Karin's eyes widened. Though they didn't know the girl personally, Sakura had told them enough about her past to know that she was not someone the pinkette wanted nor needed in her life anymore.

"Long time no see, Saks," the blonde beauty smiled.

"Yeah..." Sakura answered, a little apprehensive at the use of the old nickname she'd been given when they were still close.

Ino reached a hand over to her hair, twirling a few strands between her fingers. Sakura fought back the immediate reflex to flinch. "You kept it short, I see. Doesn't look too bad."

Sensing Sakura's discomfort, Karin chose that moment to intervene. "Can we help you? We were kinda busy here."

Ino turned her attention to the redhead glaring daggers at her. "Do I know you?" she asked, one perfect brow raised, her tone sounding infinitely bored.

"No," Karin answered, a dangerous glint in her eyes. "But if you keep harassing my friend, I'll make sure you never forget me."

Ino's eyes narrowed, before realisation settled in. Her gaze returned to Sakura. "Sharing dirty little secrets are we, Saks?" she smirked. "Seems you've told your new friends about our fun past together. Did you tell them about the time I—"