❀ Chapter 1 ❀

"I know you're worried about me; you always have been. But I'm an adult now. I can take care of myself, I promise."

Sakura Haruno

• • • • •

Waiting.

It's always so annoying.

Waiting for something good to happen.
Waiting for something bad to happen.
Waiting to hear news when anything happens.

It's all just so annoying.

These were his thoughts as he sat in the uncomfortable chair, staring at white walls and white ceilings.

The anxiety of not knowing anything was eating him up inside. The only reason he wasn't pacing or tapping his foot in agitation was because his future mother in-law was doing enough of that already, and he certainly didn't want to add to her distress. Mebuki Haruno was a force to be reckoned with when she wanted to be.

He looked around at the other people sitting in the waiting room, family and friends also waiting to hear news of a loved one's condition.

He gave a heavy sigh and leaned forward in his chair, elbows resting on his knees and hands clasped in front of him.

"She's fine."

"Nothing's wrong."

"She's going to be fine."

"Everything's going to be fine."

He kept repeating these thoughts to himself. His forced calm was wearing thin, but he willed himself to keep his composure. If he didn't hear something soon, he was going to—

"Mrs Haruno and Mr Uchiha?"

He jumped out of his seat faster than he had intended to, and silently cursed himself for letting on just how nervous he was. Mebuki had no such reservations.

"Dr Tsunade, how is my daughter? Is she okay? What's her condition? Will she—"

"Please calm down, Mrs Haruno," Tsunade held a hand up to halt Mebuki's barrage of questions. "Everything is okay. Your daughter is fine, there's no need to worry. She only fainted from exhaustion."

Sasuke didn't miss the way her lips pursed in consideration, as if trying to decide whether or not to share something else she was withholding. But he kept his observation to himself, he'd have to ask Sakura about it later. Mebuki sighed in mild relief.

"Thank you, Dr Tsunade. May we see her?" she asked.

"Actually, she's free to go whenever she's ready," Tsunade smiled. "Just make sure she takes it easy, especially for the next few weeks."

Mebuki nodded. "Thank you again, Tsunade. I appreciate your care for my daughter."

"Of course, Mebuki," Tsunade said, dropping the formalities. She placed a hand on Mebuki's shoulder. "If there's ever anything else I can do to help, please don't hesitate to let me know."

Mebuki nodded her thanks and headed for the double doors that would lead towards Sakura's room. Sasuke also gave a curt nod of appreciation, before following after her.