Chapter 3

"You're asking about Holy Rome?" Hungary asked me, astonished. We were sitting on the leather couch in Austria's living room, sipping tea.

"Eh? Why are you so surprised? Is it a bad thing?"

"No, not at all! It's just... I didn't realize that you couldn't remember him." she replied softly.

"He deserves to know," started Austria, the mariazell curl in his black hair swaying back and forth. "Holy Rome was a big part of his life."

"Then why can't I remember him?" I asked. I need to know. Why do I find this so important?

"Holy Rome was a smallish empire long ago. He lived here with the three of us. You were afraid of him for a while, but he was head over heels in love with you. You eventually fell in love with him too. When you did, he left for a battle and never came back. I'm sure you remember France breaking the news to you right after your growth spurt." Austria paused for a moment to let it sink in. I'm grateful for that. Holy Rome... my first love. But why did I forget him after he disappeared?

"The reason you forgot him," Austria continued, poking at his mole below his mouth. "is probably because you subconsciously pushed back your pain. You tried to hide all your feelings from yourself, and forgot him almost completely." Austria sipped his tea. I put my hand to my face, noticing that it was wet with tears. Austria set his tea down on the glass coffee table.

"I personally believe that Holy Rome is still out there somewhere, alive and well." I looked up at him. Hungary, who was cleaning while listening to the conversation, nearly dropped her broom.

"He's... alive? But I thought countries who got defeated and disbanded disappeared!" I exclaimed.

"They do. But look at Prussia. That imbecile is still here. A lot of them change names too. Remember the Ottoman Empire? His name is Turkey now, right? A lot of countries also get amnesia after something like that. Ask Prussia, he knows more about this than anyone." I think back to what Germany said. "Bruder always gets sad when he talks about him."

"Okay, Austria... I'll go ask Prussia." Sorry Prussia, but I have to know.

I have to.

--

I go back to Germany's house. He doesn't notice me come in. I walk downstairs to the basement where Prussia lives. It's dark down here. I turn on the light and see a mess. Clothes are scattered on the floor, with a few beer cans. I see a white-haired man heavily sleeping on a red beanbag chair, an Xbox controller on his lap. He looks like he was having a good dream. I walk over to him and poke at his face.

"Uh... Prussia? Wake up please..." He winces for a second, then rubs his eyes and opens them, glowing red. He looks really surprised to see me.

"Italy?? What are you doing here??"

"I need to ask you something..." I tell him what I remember of my dream, and what Austria told me. His eyes widen and he starts to look forlorn. I start to have second thoughts about asking him. "Austria told me to ask you about this," I finish. Prussia hesitates for a second, then starts to speak.

"Italy, about Holy Rome..." he starts, but then thinks about something and then appears to change his mind. "No, about disappearing. Not all countries disappear, as you know. Every nation has the power to keep one thing alive to be alongside them. I keep my awesome little Gilbird." The yellow chick pokes his head out from behind Prussia. "But if you have a strong mind, you can keep another one. If it's a dying country," he paused for a second. "You can nourish them back to health." He stops to let this sink in.

You can keep a country alive? Along with your pets? How is that possible? I gesture to Prussia to continue. He does so.

"I did that for Holy Rome," he starts. "And with Austria's help, he repaid the favor."