Chapter 5

I suddenly sit up in bed, forgetting that I'm not at Germany's house. I look to my right and see Romano. He stirs for a second, then opens his eyes, glowing amber in the dark.

"What is it, you bastard?" he asked sleepily.

"I understand, Romano! I get it now!" He sat up as I threw my legs off the bed to quickly get dressed.

"What, about the potato bastard?" I threw my shirt on and quickly pulled up my pants.

"Sí!" He didn't have time to respond before I ran out of the bedroom door, tearing down the stairs two at a time. I sprinted towards the door and quickly forced on my shoes. I slammed the door open and ran out.

I pull my iPhone out of my pocket and go to my contacts. I click on Seborga and then on 'call'. The phone rings three times before he picks up.

"Pronto," he said sleepily.

"Seborga! I know it's late, and I'm sorry, but can you meet me with a car halfway to Germany's place?"

"What the hell is wrong with you? Why would I do that?"

"It has to do with Holy Rome!" I hope that helps.

"Got it." I heard shuffling on the other line, probably from him getting out of bed.

"Meet me somewhere between Florence and Venice, okay?"

"Seems vague, but whatever you say. I'll assume Bologna then." I hear the line click.

--

After what seems like hours, I see a red Ferrari with a light brown haired driver slow down and stop next to me an hour outside of Venice. Seborga nearly runs me over, but no matter. I jump into his Ferrari and he drives north, heading to Germany's house.

"Explain again why I'm driving you to see Germany? Don't you have your own car?" he asks, his glowing green eyes looking slightly irritated. His bent hair curl flew back in the wind as we started going at break-neck speeds.

"Germany took it after I almost gave Japan a heart attack," I explain.

"Okay, now why am I taking you to the man who banned you from your car?"

"You knew Holy Rome, right?"

"Of course I do! He's the one who recognized me as a country!" That explains why I could never exactly remember how Seborga claimed independence.

"Ve~ No wonder..." I went along with the assumption that he knew everything too.

"Do you know the story?" he asked me. I shook my head in response. He sighed. "After Holy Rome's final battle," he started. "He was left broken and battered on the battlefield. Prussia, who was fairly new at the time, found him. After finding out that he had amnesia, Prussia nourished him back to health. He decided to show his 'little brother' to Hungary, who instantly recognized him. They've kept it a secret from you and Austria ever since. Prussia told Spain, Spain told Romano, Romano told me. That's all I know."

"Why did you guys keep it secret?" I ask the question weighing heaviest on my mind.

"Because it was too late. Austria was grieving more than you'd think, not to mention you. You had almost completely forgotten about Holy Rome. We thought it may be cruel to tell you after all your tears were gone. I'm pretty sure Austria figured it out somewhere along the line though." he goes silent. I look up at the road. Somehow, we weren't in Italy anymore. How fast was Seborga driving?? We were already seeing signs. I read the sign on the side of the road. 'You are now leaving Austria. Welcome to Germany.' We just passed the German border.