Chapter 4

"Memories are what warm you up from the inside. But they're also what tear you apart."

                                                                                       -Haruki Murakami

NONA'S EYES BLINKED slowly at first, but then opened up to see her bed surrounded by people--her friends. JJ and Ellie were crying, Alex smiled at her, Ash looked more worried than anyone.

"Hey. We told your mom to go home. She hadn't slept for days. We said we would call her when you woke up," Ash said walking over to sit next to her on the bed. He handed her the bracelet she dropped when she was taken. She only stared at it, but didn't budge. He looked a little confused, but tied it on her wrist anyway.

Alex walked out to call Lanona's mother and get the nurse. The doctor came in after a few minutes and stared at Lanona.

"Hello, sleeping beauty. I'm doctor Andrew McGrew. How are you feeling?"

She only stared at him and said nothing, didn't even react much.

"Let's look at those bandages, shall we?"

He peeled the sheets off of her and lifted her shirt to see her abdomen. A patch was taped on it and blood was seeping out. He peeled it off. Nona simply stared at the ceiling.

"It's looking better. Nurse, cover that up." The nurse quickly disinfected it and dressed the wound.

"Let's sit you up, okay?" She didn't say anything. Ash got her on one side, while the nurse got her on the other. Slowly they sat her up. That part where a person was suppose to grimace in pain never happened. The doctor began to look slightly confused at her as well.

"Follow the light with your eyes," the doctor ordered. Nona followed it without a fuss. He told her to do several different things and she did, but when it came to talking or reacting to something or someone-she refused.

 The mother walked in a few moments later.

"How's my baby?" she asked. The doctor directed her to the hall.

"Lanona seems to be healthy. The wound is healing up nicely. But, she won't talk or react to anything."

"You just said she was healthy."

"She is. Physically. However, mentally and emotionally is a complete other thing."

"What do we do?"

"See if you can get her to talk."

"Will it work?"

"It's worth a shot."

Mrs. Davis turned her back on the doctor and entered the room. Lanona didn't even turn to look at her. The mother sat on the bed side and looked at her daughter.

"Your hair looks cute red. It really brings out your eyes." No response. "If you don't like it, we can always dye it back."

Knock, knock, knock.

The door cracked open large enough for Mrs. Davis to see detective Brewer's face.

"Come on in," she replied. Lanona leaned her head down.

"Miss Lanona, I'm detective Brewer. How are you feeling?" After a second of complete silence, Brewer turned to the mother. She simply shook her head.

"Lanona, the man that took you, Harwin Hastings, he's dead." Her neck turned just slightly so that she was able to look at Brewer. Everyone sat in silence as the scene unfolded.