14.

-Dr. Ray's POV-

"What more are you planning to do with the poor boy?" I asked, anger rising in my stomach.

"I need to test his brain," He responded, his voice sickeningly calm. "Find out what makes him so different."

I didn't want to hear it. "He's no different Dr. Tim! So what if he can't read minds like the rest of us? What is he possibly going to do? I don't even understand why you keep abducting these poor people and testing on them!" I growled, my hands turning to fists.

"Shut up!" The old man growled, shoving me over harshly. "I'm trying to get my old job back!" He spat as I fell to the floor with a thump.

I watched him march upstairs before pulling myself back to my feet. His job? I sat on one of the chairs and sighed, rubbing my lower back. It may not be the smartest of ideas, but it seemed the more I poked and prodded at him the more information he spilled.

I sat for a while, thinking about what to do next. After much debate with myself, I decided to go upstairs and see if I could hear anything. Dr. Tim had been up there a long time.

Slowly and cautiously, laying each foot on the next step silently, I climbed the stairs. Dr. Tim's door was shut and locked like normal, but, applying as little pressure as I could, I placed my hands on the door and pushed my ear against it.

Did I.. Was he... Did I hear crying coming from in there? It sounded like angry disappointed crying rather than sorrowful pitiful crying like I hoped it was. Like he was angry with me and disappointed in himself. I strained my ears to hear a little better, and I thought I heard him talking.

"I'm sorry mama.. I let you down. I'm sorry.. But I'll come visit soon... I'm a little," He sniffed. "I'm a little busy right now."

Panic surging through me as I heard his bed shift as he got up, I headed for the stairs and dashed down them as quickly and as silently as I could, slumping back into the chair just as his shape appeared at the top of the stairs.

"Go give Archer his lunch." He grumbled, descending the stairs and looking down to hide the red puffiness around his eyes. But I saw it.

"O-Yes sir." I spoke quickly, getting to my feet and heading to the kitchen.

"Give him some of that cake too, if he wants it." He spoke again, a little quieter, before opening the back door and disappearing out of it.

I stood silently for a little while, shocked by his sudden change in attitude. Maybe he was just feeling funny.. I'd ask him if he needed pills later. I understood he had to be alone right now.

Cutting Archer a reasonably large slice of the cake Dr. Tim wouldn't even let me eat, I headed to the basement steps with the tray in my hands.

As I headed down the stairs and into the dusty humid room, I sighed at the sight before me.

Archer was asleep, his head leaning back and resting on the seat of the chair in what I imagined was an uncomfortable manner. I heaved him up into the chair as gently as I could, as not to wake him, and set the tray down on the ground in front of his feet. I pulled out a wad of post it notes in my lab coat pocket and scribbled a quick note on one before placing it on the tray.

With a sigh I glanced from Archer's fingerless hand to the hand that was restrained by the handcuffs. A red ring ran around his right wrist where the handcuffs had him pinned to the arm of the chair, and small cuts lay where the metal had clearly rubbed against his skin. I picked the post it note up again and scribbled one extra thing on it before turning around and heading back upstairs, letting him sleep.

Pulling the basement door shut behind me, I headed across to the chair again and sat down, exhaustion and emotional reruns of what had happened over the past few days rushed through my head and clouded my senses. I glanced at the clock, thinking I could take a quick nap before Dr. Tim got back.

So that's exactly what I did.

----------------------------------------------
Hey everyone!
Oh. My. God. I am SO SORRY for the super late updates. I know I said I'm getting more muse but I'm not getting enough time!! I'll try and update whenever I can, I'm super sorry, but I haven't forgotten about this book!
Also, thank you so much for 1,000 reads! I didn't know this book would get so popular, and I thank you so much for everything!!
Until next time,
- Whisper xo