I needed him

Zeke

Tar didn't answer her phone, I didn't really expect her to. I had sent her a few messages but she didn't reply.

It had been over two weeks since that night at my house. It was like she had disappeared. She wasn't in college. She wasn't anywhere.I tried to find Poppy but it seemed that her class had gone on some sort of exchange trip and I couldn't get in touch with her.

Tar had never wanted me to go to her flat but I was starting to get really worried. What if the person who was hurting her had done something to her? My stomach churned as I thought of the bruising on her neck and her eye. I needed to help her but she didn't want anything to do with me.

I was lying on my bed after college when the door opened and my mum walked in.

"Zeke honey, what's wrong?"
"Nothing Mum, I'm ok."

Mum sat down on the end of the bed and looked at me. She was wearing theatre scrubs and her short hair was pulled back off her face.

"Zeke, I have been your Mum for nearly 20 years. I can read you like a book. Tell me what's wrong."

I said nothing.

Mum nudged me over and lay down next to me.

"Well," she stretched. "Looks like I'm here for the long haul. I'm glad actually, there's some things I've been needing to talk to you about. I think I'm starting to go through the menopause. You wouldn't believe the hot flush I had this morning when I was in theatre.."

I sat up quickly, "God Mum! Far too much information!"

She grinned, "Well if you're not going to talk about what's worrying you, then I'm going to talk about what's worrying me. I think I might have eaten a bit of out of date ham, I've had the worst cram..."

"Ok!" I threw my hands up in defeat. "They should use you as a tactic in the military."

"My talents are varied," Mum acknowledged with a sage nod.

I laughed.

"Is it Tara?" She asked.

I nodded, wondering how much I should tell her.

"Have you argued?"

I nodded again, " I don't think she wants anything to do with me. I've not seen her in weeks. I miss her."

Mum shifted and wrapped her arm around my shoulder.

"Go find her, Zeke. I can tell you care a great deal about her. I know she likes you too. I saw the way she looked at you. It's the way your dad used to look at me."

I looked at her quickly. Her eyes were bright with unshed tears. She doesn't really talk about dad. I kissed her on the cheek.

"Thanks Mum."

She smiled and wiped her eyes,

"It's what I do. I'll be late tonight, I'm in theatre all evening then I'm going to pop in and see him."

"Ok."

I stood up and grabbed my keys. I needed to find Tar.

Tara

The flat was quiet, it didn't feel right without Mum here. I wandered through the rooms thinking that I should feel happy that she wasn't here to hurt me but being alone left me with my thoughts and that was worse.

After what had happened with Zeke I had walked home and found Mum so drunk she could barely talk. She had still managed to hit me though. In the middle of the beating,she had fallen to the floor and I couldn't wake her.