Girl at the Art Show

Tara

I rubbed my back and stretched my arms up over my head. It was nearly done.

I looked around the room and smiled at my artwork on the white walls. My charcoal pictures seemed dark against them and I liked them like that. They seemed to match my mood.

I adjusted the edge of one of the pieces slightly and stepped back.

Perfect.

The show started tomorrow, I was showing my pieces alongside other artists and their work was amazing. I was nervous.

My phone chirped and I looked at the screen, grinned and answered, "Hi Pops."

"I've landed!!" She yelled.

"I can tell!" I laughed.

"So where am I headed? Simon and I need something to tell the taxi driver."

I gave her directions and told her I'd meet her there. I ended the call and grabbed my rucksack. I jogged slowly to the underground station and headed back to the flatshare.

My flat mates were away travelling so I had the three bedroom apartment in Soho to myself. I switched the lights on and quickly ran my fingers through my hair.

I hadn't seen Pops since before Christmas, since Zeke. She hadn't asked me. I loved her for that. She knew I'd tell her when I was ready.

My buzzer went and I pressed the entry button. Soon my door was being knocked repeatedly, I opened it and fell back as Poppy launched herself at me.

"I'm here! I'm here!"

"So am I..." Simon said drily as he carried all Poppy's bags in. I laughed at the sight of them.

"How long are you here for exactly?" I joked.

"Long enough until I can convince you to come home for the winter?" Poppy pulled herself out the hug and looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

I rolled my eyes and walked to the fridge, "Beer? Wine?"

Poppy grinned, "Wine! Plenty of it!"

-----------------------------

Zeke

We grabbed our bags and headed out of the terminal. Sarah shivered but I took a deep breath in of the cold,fresh air. I'd missed this, I'd missed home. Well we weren't quite there yet, we had flown to London for a few days before we headed North.

I was nervous, I was beyond nervous. I felt sick to the base of my stomach. What if I saw Tar? I'd crumble, I'd completely fall apart at her feet.

"So where is this place we are staying?" I asked Sarah as we climbed into a taxi.

"It's in Soho. One of my buddies has loaned me their flat whilst they are away."

"Ok." I settled back into the seat. "Soho,it is."

***

We pulled up at a street lined with bars and shops. Sarah pulled some keys out of her bag and walked down checking numbers against her phone. I followed her then stopped.

I took a step back.

And another.

I turned my head slightly and felt my heart stop. That picture in the window...

Sarah walked back and looked at the picture.

"What is it?"

I couldn't speak. It was the cottage that Tar and I had stayed at for her birthday. The hills in the background. The dark charcoal smudges edging the smoke billowing out of the chimney. I thought back to that night with Tar, the way she had looked in the bikini at the bottom of the stairs, her painting in my jumper, the night she told me she was ready. I swallowed hard.