8. sparks

Diego began regular calls and texts with Ricci. They talked about almost everything they could think about; about their day, work, clothes or any idea that would come to mind. They developed a good friendship within two months of getting to know each other.

"....Dude! Ij-jowa mo ba yung bakla mong 'friend'?" Dexter asked.

"Ricci ang name nya. What's it to you?"

"Eh kasi....di kayo talo...."

"And so?"

"And so, parang mali....sana sa tunay na lalake ka nalang nakipag-jowa...."

"Eh di lalo kami hindi talo...."

"...maganda ka naman....magpaka-babae ka kaya...." Billy interrupted.

"Wag nga kayo....di ko kaya magpaka-babae....eh kayo?"

"Hindi rin..."

"And..."

Dexter and Billy just raised their bottles, toasted, shrugged their shoulders and took a swig of their beers.

=      =      =      =      =      =      =      =

"Daaad...."

"Anong dad dad? I was just asking if you really are sure about this?"

"I've never been more sure..."

"....kasi anak, she's not a he...."

"But...."

"....I know that we've talked about this over and over before.....but, can't you be a guy?"

"Daddy naman e....you know very well that my heart is a girl's.....and even if I'm gay, it doesn't change my feelings for you and it doesn't change that I'm still your Junior...."

"Haaay.....ang Chi ko naman o....Richard na naging Ricci pa.....o sige na nga...."

"I love you, Daddy!"

"I love you, Rj ko!"

"Dad....Ricci diba?"

"Richard, Rj, Ricci....pare-pareho lang yun....you're still mine..."

"Forever!"

=        =       =       =      =      =      =       =

"Nay, okay na ba tong porma ko?"

"Hmm....patingin nga? Maayos naman....ano bang meron?"

"....uhmmm....tatanungin ko po si Ricci kung pwede ko na syang ligawan....maging girlfriend...."

"Girlfriend? Diba bakla yun?"

"At ano ako?"

"Babae...."

"Nay naman e...."

"Dei....kahit pagbalik-baliktarin mo man ang mundo, babae ka pa rin....may pepay ka pa rin....nire-regla....kung di ka lang nagsusuot ng binder, may boobs ka pa rin....."

"Pero Nay...."

"Oo na....pusong lalake ka.....bata ka pa lang, ganyan ka na talaga.....naninigurado lang ako na di ka masasaktan ulit...."

"....sure na po ako Nay...."

"....basta aalagaan mo lang yang puso mo...."

"Opo Nay! Salamat! I love you!"

"I love you, Dei!"

"Diego po...."

"Diego, Dei....Dei Maria ka pa rin sa akin....hindi magbabago yun..."

=      =       =      =       =      =      =      =

"Do you love me?" Diego asked Ricci while they were strolling in the park one Saturday afternoon.

"Huh?"

"Ricci, do you love me?" Diego stopped walking and took Ricci's hand, looking at her straight into her eyes. It was the first time he held her hand apart from their handshake the first time they were introduced to each other.

"....I...."

".....nevermind.....di naman kasi tayo.....alam mo na....bading ka....tomboy ako.....and....." Ricci didn't let Diego finish and kissed him on the lips.

Stunned, Diego shut his eyes for a second before opening his lips and sliding his tongue in Ricci's mouth. He reached for her nape and slowly cradled her head. She wrapped her arm around his shoulders.

"....does this mean we're...." Diego said as their lips parted and their foreheads touched.

Ricci smiled, tears rolling down her cheeks. She nodded slightly.