17. parenthood

Compared to her brother, Charmaine was a more strong-willed and independent child. She was not shy around people and easily got along with almost everyone. She did not hesitate in joining kids at play or striking a conversation with adults. But despite her outgoing nature, Diego and Ricci were able to instill in her the value of respectfulness and compassion.

One late afternoon, after a whole day of activities at their family reunion at Nanay's house, Charmaine, who was now 4 years old, whined a little that she was tired and sleepy.

"...just stay in the room and rest for a while, we'll call you when it's time to go home..." Ricci told her.

Charmaine quickly obeyed and pulled her hoodie over her head and went inside the guest room at Nanay's house.

"Kuya...please look for Charmaine...tell her we're going home..." Diego told Thirdy who nodded. He was still busy playing video games with his cousins so he wasn't really paying attention to Diego. The noise from the game was loud as well as the sound of people chattering around was also loud.

"...Nay...mauna na kami...." Diego said. He, too, was exhausted from the whole day's events. In fact, he drove home in silence. Even Ricci and Thirdy didn't make any noise while in the car.

Nessa, their helper, opened the gate and proceeded to unload the car of food that the family had brought home.

".....i-ref mo nalang yung mga lutong ulam, please..." Ricci said as they entered the door.

"Opo, Ate...."

"O Thirdy, take a bath na...."

"Yes Ma..."

"Ate?" Nessa said about 20 minutes after the family arrived and she had put away their things. She was getting ready to turn off the lights around the house and do a final check of all the locks.

"Hmm?"

"Si....si Chuchay po?"

"....ay! natutulog pa sa kotse! Buhatin mo nalang at punasan....bukas nalang sya maligo..."

"Opo, Ate"

A few minutes passed and Nessa knocked at the Ricci and Diego's door.

"....pasok..."

"Ate....wala po si Chuchay sa sasakyan...."

"Huh?" Ricci asked.

"....wala po sya sa van.....wala rin po sa garden....inikot ko na po yung buong labas ng bahay....."

Immediately, Diego ran out of the room and searched for Charmaine, calling her out. Ricci followed.

"Charmaine? Chuchay?" Diego and Ricci called out, trying not to panic. They turned on all the lights on the inside and outside of the house. Diego opened the gate again which Nessa had padlocked already when they arrived to check the street. It was dark and empty.

"Thirdy!" Ricci called out.

"Yes Ma?"

"Nakita mo ba si Chuchay?"

"Hindi..."

"Anong hindi? Di ba magkasama kayo sa likod nung van?" Diego said.

"Sa may front po ako nakaupo, akala ko dun sya sa likod kasi gusto nun nakahiga e...." Thirdy said.

"Nessa....na-check mo ba hanggang likod ng van?"

"Opo....pati nga po sa ilalim ng mga upuan e...."

Panic was beginning to set in. Ricci was already in tears, flustered, pacing about while Diego made calls to Daddy and Nanay.

"Huh? Wala sya dito sa akin...nauna akong umuwi sa inyo diba?" Daddy said.

"Ah opo...opo....sige po.....thank you Dad....balitaan namin kayo...." Diego said.

Just as Diego was about to dial Nanay's number, the phone rang.

"H....hello?"

"Dei"

"Nay!"

"Dei....si...."

"Nay! Si Chuchay! Nawawala!"

"Huh? Sino?"

"Si Chuchay po....nawawala si Chuchay!"

".....andito si Chuchay sa guest room....natutulog..."

"Po?"

"....andito si Chuchay....sabi nya, pagod daw sya kaya nakatulog sya sa guest room.....may sinat nga yung bata..."

"Susmaryosep!"

"O, dito na muna si Chuchay sa akin...."

"Opo Nay...salamat po....sige po, good night...."

"Where's Chuchay? Where's my baby?" Ricci was in tears.

"Andun kay Nanay....nakalimutan natin sya...." Diego was half smirking, half irritated at himself.

"What? Ano?"

"Naiwan natin sya kina Nanay....nakatulog daw sa guest room....may sinat na sa pagod so dun nalang sya muna kay Nanay....bukas, susunduin ko sya...."

"Hay! Thank God she's safe!" Ricci said.

=      =      =      =      =      =      =      =

"....sobrang independent talaga ni Charmaine, no? Halos ayaw na magpakarga..." Diego said while he and Ricci settled down in bed.

"Oo nga e....nami-miss ko na yung lambing-lambing nya pag kinakarga ko sya....yung isisiksik nya yung face nya sa neck ko....she used to do it a lot....now, I have to ask for it....haaaay"

"Si Kuya naman, ang hilig sumiksik sa kili-kili ko....." Diego recounted

"May pinagmanahan...." Ricci said.

Diego turned toward Ricci and buried his face into her armpit.