Chapter 1

Huff. Skid. Thump.

I caught the netball in both hands, my heart rate was beating rapidly as my face was burning, turning my cheeks to a astonishing beet root red. My grip on the ball was so tight I thought my hands might burst. I chucked the ball directly to the Goalie and sprinted into the shooting circle dodging my opponent as the Goalie pivoted the ball back at me. I trembled as I went for the shot. My hands lifted high, my knees bending, ready to pounce.

'You can do it Em!' 'You got this!' The encouragements from the girls on my team rhythms and echoes in my mind.

Sweat drips from my fiery face. Desperation flared through my body, the ball springs from my grasp I watch as the ball bounces on the ring from one side to the other, I waited for what felt like a minute, finally the ball fell.

My mouth turned into a O shape.

I did it. We won. I shout cheerfully. The ball had gone in the netball ring.

I feel my teammates lift me up in victory cheering our team name. 'Lightning Leagues!'

I smile proud, I was exhausted I hadn't run so much since, well forever.

We had won the Australian Districts!

Our coach ran up to our team.

'Man oh man, was that a close game!! I'm so proud of every each of you guys! You all played so great! Zilie, your defending was surpurb, the way you jumped so high and grabbed the ball before your opponent could was thrilling. Hayla, you did awesome lobs but just watch your stepping, you got contact a few times, we need to work on that. Emily, excellent shooting, actually I'm especially proud of you, you've been practicing so much and you deserve a lot of congratulating.'

Our team huddled into a cuddle and laughed at how happy we were, there were many pats on the backs, congratulating each other.

'Lightning Leagues you know what makes us so much better then all the others? We worked so well together and cooperated as a team, not relying on ourselves. That's what all the other teams lacked.' We all cheered together.

'WO WO WO!

You'll see us when were coming, yeah we strike just like lightning.

You'll hear us as we roar, we'll be back and we'll have more.

Oh! Our team attack! That's what all of you lack!

Oh! Our team defence! Will make all of you tense!

Oh! Our team shoots! In all and every ones hoops!

I said were LIGHTNING LEAGUES!!' We all scream as we stick out our tongues and laugh.

I look over to the side lines and see Zack, my perfect boyfriend. Literally he was perfect, he always got the highest grades in school, he's the school captain, captain of the football team, president of law at school and is the leader of the Lacrosse team. You could say he was usually pretty busy, so I was overjoyed when I saw him. He smiles his purly whites.

'Thanks Coach, I have to go now.' I smile and hug her. She nods in assurance.

I walk up to Zack as he kicks at the ground nervously.

'Zack?' I question.

He pulls a bouquet of flowers from around his back. Yellow tulips, my favourite. He hands them to me. I pull him into a tight hug and he kisses me on the cheek, spinning me around. I giggle.

'You won! Congrats!'

'Hah, yeah we did! I can't believe you're here, I thought you were busy?'

'Well I spared a night for my special girl, couldn't miss your big game.' He winks. He wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me close next to him. He whispers into my ear, sending shivers down my spine.

'You played so well tonight babe.' His heavenly voice made me feel weak at the knees.

He intertwined his finger with mine. Usually Zack isn't the kind of P.D.A type but today he was very touchy and close, not complaining, I could get used to this. As much as I loved Zack sometimes I felt he was too good for me, like he deserved better, or I wasn't good enough for him.

Zack helped me into his red ute like a gentleman.

'Whats up with you? Where are we going?' I ask confused yet excited.

'Its a surprise.' He grins.

'I hate surprises you know that!' I punch his arm playfully.

He throws his head back in a chuckle. I look out the foggy window and draw pictures in them. It was cold outside and cloudy, but didn't rain. I waited impatiently until he finally stopped his car.

At school.

I cough uncomfortably.

'Um, what are we doing here, babe?' It was such a nice gesture that Zack wanted to spend time with me, but if he was planning on doing something at the school like studying, I think I would rather puke.

'Don't worry, I've just got a quick meeting with some of the boys about lacrosse finals coming up, I promise I won't be long. You can listen to some of your tunes or whatever you girls do these days.'

He grins as he leaves me alone in his truck. I sulk, this wasn't really the afternoon I had planned.