Chapter 7: Longing

"What matteh?  Peh look sad..."

"I'm alright, Xann... just thinking."

"Thinking?  Thinking what?"

She exhaled slowly.  "I wish humans didn't hate dragons so much..."

Xann pinned his ears.  "Me too.  Xann always have to hide."

Petra bit her lip.  "I know-- I'm sorry."  She kicked at a stone on the ground.  "Someday... someday we'll change that.  We'll make them see..."

"Xann not know... things been this way foh long time..."

"Then it's about time that changed..."  She sighed, looking worried.  "Xann... you know it's almost time, right?"

"Time?  Time foh what?"

"You're... getting too big to stay this close to town.  You're going to have to find a new home soon..."

"Oh."   He lowered his gaze.  "Will Peh still come see Xann?"

"Of course-- of course I will."  She exhaled.  "But... not this often.  It's hard enough to get away even to come here..."

"Oh.  Xann will miss Peh..."

"Me too, Xann."  She sighed.  "I'll miss you too..."

Both of them were quiet for a long time.

"You know, you're speaking very well now-- you almost sound like a human," Petra said at last.  "You've learned fast..."

"Xann talk a lot-- talk to self, talk to Peh."  He wrinkled his nose.  "Some sounds Xann still can't say..."

"That will come in time," she assured him.  "You've just gotta keep at it.  You'll get there..."

"If Xann talk like human, will humans like Xann?"

She hesitated.  "I... don't think that's how it works, Xann..."

"Oh."

Again, silence fell.  Both of them stared out into the distant sky.

"Almost time that Xann fly,"  Xann whispered, breaking the silence again.  "Maybe next day, maybe day past next."

Petra looked up.  "That soon?"

Xann nodded.  "But Xann need help-- help in beginning.  Can't fly alone..."

"Alright-- I'll make sure I come help you."  She exhaled thoughtfully.  "Xann, we might be the first dragon and rider in this world for a very long time..."

"Yes-- Xann think of that.  But humans still not like..."  He seemed worried.  "...When Xann go... what will Peh do?"

She hesitated.  "I... guess I'll go back to the others... try and settle down again..."

"Will otheh humans like Peh?"

"Yeah-- they don't... they don't know about you.  I... haven't told anyone.  Not even Lukas..." she murmured, looking down.

"Lukas?"

"My friend... we've known each other for ages."  She exhaled.  "I... don't keep a lot of secrets from him..."

"He mean much to Peh.  Good fehnd.  Maybe... moh?"

She blinked.  "What?  I-- no... he's... just a friend.  A very good friend-- but just a friend..."