Chapter 7: Changing for You

"I'm sorry, Wing... I... I just don't love you. I need someone who's caring, who's sweet, who's ladylike. How am I supposed to date someone who's even more of a guy than myself? I'm extremely sorry. Just... We won't work out."

"No, Taemin, I can change for you. I will change for you. Give me a chance. Please."  Wait. Why does this sound so familiar? He shook my hand off of his and walked away. "Taemin! TAEMIN!"

"TAEMIN!" I screamed as I shot up from my bed. Oh.. it was just a dream. My eyes drifted outside of the window, into the clear, blue sky with clouds. Why do I care so much about how others think of me now?

I went into a deep thinking mode as my mind went back 10 years ago, when I was only 9 years old. 

"Hey Tomboy Wing, where you heading to?" some immature boys my age snickered behind my back. I shifted my backpack on my shoulder and walked away. Ignore them, Wing. Just think of them as some annoying bees buzzing in your ear. Suddenly, they rushed in front of me and blocked my path. "Hey, Gamine! How dare you ignore us!" one of them shouted at my face. 

"Get lost. Before I make you," I said before shoving myself past them. 

"Oh, I'm so scared!" the boy mocked. "What are you going to do, beat me up? I'm telling you, you'll never get a boyfriend, Gamine. But, oh wait, do elephants even have boyfriends?" His friends laughed at his mean remark and I clenched my fists. I turned around and darted towards them before sending a fist to his face. He tumbled down to the floor, surprised that I actually punched him.

"Why do you care about my personal life, you freak?" I yelled at them, eyes widened. The teacher suddenly came and held me back. 

"Park Min Ji! Stop that right now!" she scolded. "All of you, come to the principal's office. Now."

We headed to the office like instructed, and waited in chairs for our parents to arrive. My appa came in the room and sat down beside me. 

"Sir, I'd like you to be informed that your daughter was starting a fight with some male classmates in her class today, after school," the principal said.

"She's a monster! How unladylike of her to have punched someone like that! She's a devil!" the boy's umma shouted.

"Excuse me?" Appa bellowed.

"Mrs Kim, I'd appreciate it if you left the comments to yourself. Min Ji, what actually happened?"

I kept my head down, my bangs covering my eyes. Finally, I muttered, ". . . I'm not a devil."

"Pardon? What did you say, Min Ji? I'm sorry, but I couldn't hear you," she said in a calming voice.

"I'm not a devil!" I cried, tears rolling down my cheeks. "They were making fun of me. They were the ones who started it!" The adults looked at me, all of them shocked, but mostly my dad. He's never seen me cry before. I continued, "They called me names. Gamine, Tomboy, Elephant. What did I do to deserve this? Should I have just smiled at them, said 'Yes, I'm sorry for being a tomboy elephant and for being who I am' and 'I agree, I'll never find a boyfriend'?"

"Wing, calm down," my father tried soothing me.

"Appa, I'm tired of this. I'm tired of having to listen to other people commenting on how I'm 'unladylike' or 'a freak' or just some other mean remarks that will hurt me. Why can't I be normal like other girls? Or why can't I just be born a guy so that none of this will happen? Why am I so different?"